Death By Soda?

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:49 am

Ever since I was a little kid I've always believed artificial sweeteners let to obesity and the over consumption of sugar. Aspartame is the worst and there is plenty of evidence to confirm my suspicions. Not only does it cause an increase in the desire of sugar, it is down right dangerous and is converted into methanol and embalming fluid in the body. Before Splenda was a sweetener it was being developed as an insecticide!

Splenda First Developed As An Insecticide
http://www.rense.com/general96/splendainsect.htm

How Artificial Sweeteners Confuse Your Body into Storing Fat and Inducing Diabetes
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -body.aspx

http://aspartame.mercola.com/

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... weght+gain

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:12 pm

CactusHugger wrote:From salami to soda pop: what does “toxic” really mean?
The section on aspartame (called "Sweeter Than Sin") breaks down the chemistry of aspartame. The only toxic substance released by aspartame is methanol and you'll get more methanol from drinking fruit juice than you will from a soda sweetened with aspartame.
Unless you are consuming a very large amount of aspartame, the quantities of methanol involved aren’t large enough for concentrations in your bloodstream to reach dangerous levels, and your body will break it down. If you have about 555 milligrams per liter of aspartame in a flavored beverage, that equates to about 55 milligrams of methanol per liter of soda, give or take. You can actually get more methanol by drinking fruit juice. Likewise, the methanol from 500 mg of aspartame is about equivalent to the methanol from 8 ounces of vegetable juice, and there’s even more methanol in gin.

LINK: http://puffthemutantdragon.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/from-salami-to-soda-pop-what-does-toxic-really-mean/

Claims made that aspartame causes weight gain fall into two categories: 1) claims made based on correlational studies, and 2) claims based on a misunderstanding of biochemistry. There are even videos by some guy named Dr. Weiner (Any relation to Carlos Danger, aka Anthony Weiner? Is he even a legitimate medical doctor?) who proves that many doctors don't have a grasp of basic biochemistry. The science is simple. Aspartame is composed of two amino acids bonded together. When they separate during digestion the byproduct is a common chemical released by many other natural substances during digestion. The amount of aspartame in the diet, even when consumed at relatively high levels, is tiny compared to the amount of fruit most people eat. Any negligible effect aspartame might have is preferable to the effect of sugar.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:10 am

There are a lot more people complaining about aspartame besides Alex Jones and Dr. Mercola. Though there isn't very much in either I have read that it's true that there is more methanol in many fruit juices than beverages containing aspartame but that they also contain ethanol which renders the methanol harmless by taking it out of the body. There is no ethanol in aspartame. Also even the debunkers of the debunkers admit that people that use artificial sweeteners commonly over compensate for their effects and indulge in eating more sweets than they normally would have. There are also rat studies that were fed aspartame and got fatter than the rats that didn't which makes me think that there is more to it than over compensating.

Also see:FDA HID RESEARCH THAT DAMNED ASPARTAME
http://www.mpwhi.com/fda_hid_research_t ... artame.htm

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Why Mountain Dew Rots Your Teeth More Than Coca-Cola
This is an interesting presentation. I learned a few things about acid that I didn't know before.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:32 am

Interesting. I had always heard that cola rotted your teeth but this is the first I've heard that Mountain Dew was worse. I had to look up titration to see what it meant but it is the reason that vinegar and baking soda mixed together clean so much better than just water alone of the same pH. Apparently the Mountain Dew has more initial acid but it has been neutralized by adding something to the point that it's pH becomes lower than that of the cola. Perhaps they use actual baking soda. Could this explain why they call pop soda?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 am

Bottled water more popular than soda in US
What I can't tell is if flavored and sweetened water gets counted as water or soda. Just go down the water aisle at most markets and you'll find flavored and sweetened water there, while soda is in a separate aisle. In other words, the line separating the two categories is pretty thin.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Why ‘bad’ foods aren't really bad for you
The diet soda part starts at 4:35, but generally this video puts a bunch of food fads into proper perspective.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Why is Soda Cheaper Than Water? | Grumology
Most of the price of a product covers marketing costs! So, the question then is whether or not marketing is a necessary evil or something that can be eliminated.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am

Got a feeling you are onto something. If I were a kid I'd do away with the idea of opening up a road side lemonade stand and just sell ice cold water for a dollar a bottle! Someone could probably make a fortune this weekend!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am

Lemonade Stand: I'm sure a lot of that money that's supposed to be used for marketing is actually used to file lawsuits against start up companies that might become competitors. Not that a kid is likely to be noticed by the lawsuit goon squad, but if the kid started to become too successful someone would probably complain and the lemonade stand would most likely be shut down for some health code violation or something along those lines.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Recreation and Entertainment