Healthy Habits

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Healthy Habits

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

I've been recently rediscovering sprouts. Been buying bean sprouts at the supermarket and I just harvested my first home grown crop of broccoli sprouts yesterday; and was amazed at how good they tasted. In fact they are gone already. They are also one of the easiest sprouts to grow. I used to grow massive quantities of alfalfa sprouts but broccoli sprouts out do them by a mile.

It almost seems strange that these taste as good as they do and are supposed to be super healthy for you.

How Broccoli Sprouts Affect Your Health

This woman shows how to sprout in Jars. You can just use regular mason jars and cut out a piece of screen to fit inside the lids. I like to use tubs covered with paper towels to sprout in because it gives me more room to swish them around and keep them from sticking together. I also use an ounce or two of peroxide per gallon of water to keep them from getting moldy and bubble off the shells and used to cheat with Miracle Gro for Tomatoes to make them grow like mad. These days I use fulvic acid as fertilizer. They don't grow quite as fast but the trace minerals of anything grown with it is off the charts.

Best Anti Aging Superood For Glowing Skin And A Healthy Body | Delay Aging Over 50

What happens if you eat too much broccoli? Watch this video to find out!

How Much Broccoli Is Too Much?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:09 am

There was a big deal about broccoli sprouts several years ago.So, they're making a comeback now? Interesting and other than the possibility of mold or microorganisms contaminating the sprouting container, I see no issue with eating sprouts. Makes sense and seems prudent as long as everything is properly cleaned and sanitized.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 am

Yes and no. Fortunately the demand for broccoli sprouts has fallen off somewhat and the availability is pretty good so that they aren't too expensive. Mold is a problem when growing any vegetable. More so in sprouts which tend to be grown in a wetter environment. This is especially true of alfalfa sprouts because the husks on them are porous and ideal for mold and bacteria to hide in. Fortunately good watering practices and hydrogen peroxide will take care of this and if done properly you will have less of a chance of contracting anything than you would from buying lettuce at the supermarket. I feel that if you do a lot of gardening that you will instinctively know how much to water them but that this could be a huge problem for the average person, especially if you have a brown thumb. For anyone inexperienced I'd say if there is any doubt of mold, throw the whole entire batch away and start over. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. As long as you don't kill them, under watering is not as bad as over watering. If the sprouts on top are a little wilted they will come back after watering, the same as will a house plant. If they don't in a few minutes then they will probably die and if the watering is over compensated dramatically increase the chance of mold. Just pay attention and everything will be ok. You can just as easily have sprouts go bad that you bought from the store or as I said earlier, on any vegetable for that matter.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Recreation and Entertainment