Celtic Folk Music

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Solstice Bells

Postby wildbill » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 am

A commenter on YouTube pointed out that "it was Solstice long before the birth of the Christ." I'd like to add that if the Biblical account is true that Christ was born in the spring and so Christmas should be at an entirely different time of the year. Of course its all a fantasy anyways and so it doesn't really matter. Which is why it would be good to reconnect with a more Earth-based form of spirituality.
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:37 pm

wildbill wrote:A commenter on YouTube pointed out that "it was Solstice long before the birth of the Christ." I'd like to add that if the Biblical account is true that Christ was born in the spring and so Christmas should be at an entirely different time of the year. Of course its all a fantasy anyways and so it doesn't really matter. Which is why it would be good to reconnect with a more Earth-based form of spirituality.

As far as I know Christmas Solstice doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus. It celebrates the day Jesus died after being nailed up for 3 days on a cross along with two others. He was allegedly taken to some sort of underground tomb. Why they didn't bury him is beyond me. I guess maybe that would have turned him into a Zombie or something. Easter Solstice was the day he was resurrected. Supposedly the 3 days he spends on the cross coincide with the 3 days the star Sirius dips below the horizon the same time each morning and then resumes climbing back up. Incidentally there are 3 stars in Orion's belt often called the 3 kings and also coincide in position and intensity to the size and location of the 3 Pyramids as well as the 3 crosses the day Christ was crucified. The exact day of December 25 is Roman to throw everyone off track just like the story and the naming of the stars, calling them the 3 kings and even the story about the pyramids being the burial chambers of 3 kings. I always wondered why they said Orion has a sword. What's he doing using a club when he's carrying a sword? It's more in the location of a penis and a bit small and kind of a dangerous place to be carrying a sword. Also the "star" at the end of Orion's "sword" is actually the Andromeda galaxy, containing a billion stars, corresponding perfectly to Orion's seed.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Jethro Tull and Celtic Folk Music

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:17 pm

When I was young and they packed me off to school
and taught me how not to play the game,
I didn't mind if they groomed me for success,
or if they said that I was a fool.
So I left there in the morning
with their God tucked underneath my arm --
their half-assed smiles and the book of rules.
So I asked this God a question
and by way of firm reply,
He said -- I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays.
So to my old headmaster (and to anyone who cares):
before I'm through I'd like to say my prayers --
I don't believe you:
you had the whole damn thing all wrong --
He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays.
Well you can excomunicate me on my way to Sunday school
and have all the bishops harmonize these lines --
how do you dare tell me that I'm my Father's son
when that was just an accident of Birth.
I'd rather look around me -- compose a better song
`cos that's the honest measure of my worth.
In your pomp and all your glory you're a poorer man than me,
as you lick the boots of death born out of fear.
I don't believe you:
you had the whole damn thing all wrong --
He's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:19 am

surfsteve wrote:
wildbill wrote:A commenter on YouTube pointed out that "it was Solstice long before the birth of the Christ." I'd like to add that if the Biblical account is true that Christ was born in the spring and so Christmas should be at an entirely different time of the year. Of course its all a fantasy anyways and so it doesn't really matter. Which is why it would be good to reconnect with a more Earth-based form of spirituality.

As far as I know Christmas Solstice doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus. It celebrates the day Jesus died after being nailed up for 3 days on a cross along with two others. He was allegedly taken to some sort of underground tomb. Why they didn't bury him is beyond me. I guess maybe that would have turned him into a Zombie or something. Easter Solstice was the day he was resurrected. Supposedly the 3 days he spends on the cross coincide with the 3 days the star Sirius dips below the horizon the same time each morning and then resumes climbing back up. Incidentally there are 3 stars in Orion's belt often called the 3 kings and also coincide in position and intensity to the size and location of the 3 Pyramids as well as the 3 crosses the day Christ was crucified. The exact day of December 25 is Roman to throw everyone off track just like the story and the naming of the stars, calling them the 3 kings and even the story about the pyramids being the burial chambers of 3 kings. I always wondered why they said Orion has a sword. What's he doing using a club when he's carrying a sword? It's more in the location of a penis and a bit small and kind of a dangerous place to be carrying a sword. Also the "star" at the end of Orion's "sword" is actually the Andromeda galaxy, containing a billion stars, corresponding perfectly to Orion's seed.

Ever since I made that post I been looking at the star Sirius for the past few nights and it seems around 10 pm Sirius is in the Southeast and would be below the horizon just before sunset in the evening. Not in the morning as I thought in my previous post. Sure enough this video confirms it. Sirius is rising in the southeast before sunset and setting in the southwest before dawn . I'm not sure why I thought it was sunrise. Technically it would be just before "star rise" AKA sunset. I think I see where my confusion came from. I wonder if the program that guy is using is freeware. Neat Program!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Well the dawn was coming,
Heard him ringing on my bell.
He said, "My name's the teacher,
That is what I call myself.
And I have a lesson
That I must impart to you.
It's an old expression
But I must insist it's true.

Jump up, look around,
Find yourself some fun,
No sense in sitting there hating everyone.
No man's an island and his castle isn't home,
The nest is for nothing when the bird has flown."

So I took a journey,
Threw my world into the sea.
With me went the teacher
Who found fun instead of me.

Hey man, what's the plan, what was that you said?
Sun-tanned, drink in hand, lying there in bed.
I try to socialize but I can't seem to find
What I was looking for, got something on my mind.

Then the teacher told me
It had been a lot of fun.
Thanked me for his ticket
And all that I had done.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby happy_hiker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Heilung | LIFA - Krigsgaldr LIVE
I wonder if authentic Celtic music from back around 900 A.D. sounded anything like this.
happy_hiker
Greenhorn

Re: Celtic Folk Music

Postby pdm » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:23 am

happy_hiker: Hard to say what music back then sounded like, but this probably isn't too far off. It certainly conjures up ghosts from the past and fuels the imagination. According to the wikipedia page their music is based on runic inscriptions from Germanic peoples of the Bronze Age, Iron Age, and Viking Age, which would cover years dating back from 1700 BC to 1066 AD. Celtic culture would have existed mostly to the south and the west of the Germanic peoples. I don't know my history very well, but that's what I was able to quickly glean from a couple wikipedia pages.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Jacqui McShee's Pentangle - 'The Nightingale' (Live)
It's a traditional song performed with a jazz feel. They call it folk jazz as opposed to folk rock.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Pentangle - Hunting Song
The song is introduced as 13th Century rock n roll and it's interesting and intriguing and worth giving it a listening to.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Previous

Return to Recreation and Entertainment