TV and Things That Pass for History on the History Channel

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

TV and Things That Pass for History on the History Channel

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:17 pm

I don't have a TV in my house but occasionally when I watch one at someone else's house I am appalled at what I see on TV; especially the history channel. When did the History Channel stop being about history? With the recent passing of 4th of July Weekend, I would like to start this thread with some quotes from an article about the History Channel's SONS OF LIBERTY
The previews give the feeling that it’s a dramatization of real, historical events, with an air of credibility...Understandably, one might get the impression from these sneak peeks that this is some sort of docu-drama. Well, it’s not that at all.

It is historical fiction, not a documentary... As historical fiction (actually, it’s more of an alternate history) the miniseries is very successful.

While it plays well for those who are in on the secret, if you’re looking for facts about the Sons of Liberty or information about the War for American Independence, don’t plan on discovering those facts in this miniseries; you won’t find them... With this quick guide, readers and viewers of the show will hopefully have a better grasp of the content, the way it has been altered
http://allthingsliberty.com/2015/01/dis ... ty-series/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TV and Things That Pass for History on the History Chann

Postby James Sel » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 pm

that show is a drama not a documentary. You should have turned the channel.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:52 am

I never watched it; only came across the article about it's historical inaccuracies. At least it has something remotely to do with History. What do shows like Pawn Stars have to do with it? Actually I thought Duck Dynasty and a few other shows were on it too but I was mistaken. It's difficult to know what channel you are watching when somebody else is changing the channels. I'm surfing the History Channels website right now seeing names like Alone, Counting cars, Leepu and Pitbull. These shows don't sound like they have anything to do with history at all. I have watched Vikings which probably has as many inaccuracies as Sons of Liberty and found it to be more of a drama than a history series. Makes me wonder what they are teaching kids in school these days when it comes to history and Common Core.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:56 am

I'm pretty sure the history channel isn't airing in school.

The history channel is purely entertainment, although many shows touch on historical events they have been used as a basis for there drama. The Vikings show did that using real names from history and events and creative writing.
Some of their shows are rather interesting such as "Vietnam in HD." It's entertainment but it also can expand the knowledge one has on that war.
Here is a link to there online Full episodes for much on their home entertainment.
http://www.history.com/videos?mkwid=37u1d6k3|dc_pcrid_4310598824_pkw_history%20channel_pmt_e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=history%20channel&utm_campaign=M_Brand+Terms&paidlink=1&cmpid=PaidSearch_bing_M_Brand+Terms_history%20channel

Hey hey, You might be interested in this too.
http://www.fox.com/the-simpsons/full-episodes
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:03 am

James Sel wrote:The history channel is purely entertainment

Finally something we both agree on!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:03 am

Speaking of entertainment, why is it ok to have a black entertainment channel but not a white one?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:04 am

surfsteve wrote:

Now that I think about it a little I actually don't agree. Making up history as you go along is not entertainment it''s propaganda. Does my failure to not immediately recognize that mean the brainwashing is starting to take effect?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:52 am

surfsteve wrote:Speaking of entertainment, why is it ok to have a black entertainment channel but not a white one?

You should ask someone who has an issue with that. There are way stupider channels out there than BET. BET is welcome to have a channel and some time there may be a "GAY" channel. I'm not or wouldn't be a viewer and would not protest them as long as the don't preach hate which would not be OK to me, not to limit other unsaid issue that could come up. Personally I love diversity but admit that it can be trying in our ill society at times.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby James Sel » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:34 pm

surfsteve wrote:

To add to the conversation this entertainment has a positive side at times when the truth is not completely distorted. An Example may help explain what I mean. I really enjoy history because, for one thing, I find it interesting. And when Vikings first aired I noticed that real history was reflected in the drama. This inspired me to spend a little time researching the history of them in brief I already knew some of what I found and learned some new things and forgot other things since then. I liked reading the legends that included shield-maiden Lagertha who fought along side the worriers. History ch also had a hit with the Hatfields ad McCoys which I didn't a little looking into too.
A point of view is that many people hate or don't care for history.This kind of entertainment can inspire some to change there perception of the discipline as they learn that history doesn't have to such.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby James Sel » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:36 pm

surfsteve wrote:Now that I think about it a little I actually don't agree. Making up history as you go along is not entertainment it''s propaganda. Does my failure to not immediately recognize that mean the brainwashing is starting to take effect?

You over though it.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Return to Recreation and Entertainment