Weight Loss and Physical Fitness

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Weight Loss and Physical Fitness

Postby tronagirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Diet vs Exercise - Which is Better for Weight Loss?
You can only burn so many calories. Reducing your caloric intake is the most effective way to lose weight. Also weight loss isn't the goal usually. Most people just want to lose fat and so exercise is still an important part of the plan!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Weight Loss and Physical Fitness

Postby tronagirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:40 pm

Erector Spinae Muscles Stretches - Ask Doctor Jo
A lot of people I know have back problems that limit their ability to exercise. Here are a few exercises that might be helpful providing that there are no medical reasons not to do them.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:40 pm

Full Back Sequence, Spine Stretch - Active Isolated Stretching
More awesome back exercises!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:41 pm

Mobility - Thoracic Spine - floor
A happy back can make other more strenuous exercises less of a pain!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Wall Angel Exercise
This one is a great stress reliever! It's also more challenging than it looks!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Wow. 5 videos on exercising. Is that your new years resolution?

The first video you posted doesn't really focus on diet. It focuses on calories. I say that diet is more important than exercise. But not so how much as the quality of the food you eat. If you have an unhealthy diet you will be too sick and hurt too much to exercise. A good diet makes it painless and easy to exercise and you will want to do it. Calorie restriction is OK for loosing weight but what you eat is far more important than how much. Again. Eating the right foods will not only make you want to eat less, it will also make it easier. To review it will also make you feel like exercising. I can prove this by giving the reverse example. Eating a big meal of junk food will not give you energy. It will make you want to sleep and when you wake up you will feel slow, groggy and hungry from your stomach being stretched out!

The main thing about exercising is don't over do it. If you exercise just a little you will be able to do it again the next day or so but if you go overboard you will set yourself back several weeks. It's so tempting to go all out on your first day. Over training is the most common mistake people make. DOMS stands for delayed onset muscle soreness. It is a very real thing. Most people don't realize how bad they are going to hurt in a few days when they start exercising and the temptation is too great for them. Especially when the person next to you is putting you to shame. Steady progression wins the race every time over someone trying to get it all done in one day. Gyms make their money off people going all out in one day and not coming back. The InShape in Ridgecrest has over 6000 members but I see the same few people come back week after week as regulars. Even among those many just hang in there for a few months and then stop coming. Probably got too sick to exercise from malnutrition due to their poor diets. Just like shocking your body from too much exercise, don't try and change your diet over night. It's best to add one good thing at a time and/or take one or bad thing out at a time. Intermittent fasting works better than eating small meals. Start by not eating at night, then after dinner. Then wait a little longer each few days to eat when you get up. Some people eat only one meal a day. I try and do all my eating in an 8 hour period. I eat as much as I want in that 8 hours. Often I only eat within a 6 hour period each day. Not because I try to. Just because I'm not hungry. It's much easier than eating smaller portions and much more rewarding for loosing weight.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:55 am

surfsteve: I agree with some of what you said. First of all, people need to start easy if they are just beginning an exercise program. It takes time to gain strength and stamina, especially if one is older.
surfsteve wrote:Over training is the most common mistake people make. DOMS stands for delayed onset muscle soreness. It is a very real thing. Most people don't realize how bad they are going to hurt in a few days when they start exercising and the temptation is too great for them.

Also I agree that slowly changing the diet is the way to go.
surfsteve wrote:Just like shocking your body from too much exercise, don't try and change your diet over night. It's best to add one good thing at a time and/or take one or bad thing out at a time.

Some of the other things you said I agree with and some I disagree with. But I think these two items are solid, good advice.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Ha Wildrose! I can back everything I said up with solid bro. science. Not the kind of science with guys paid to run around in lab coats who have never done it themselves but the guys like me that actually go out there and practice what they preach!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:49 am

Not sure which part of my post you disagreed with. did it have to do with intermittent fasting?

Here is a bit of sister science which surprisingly as a guy I can totally relate to.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:51 pm

One thing I forgot to mention was that intermittent fasting also raises growth hormone which is the hormone responsible for muscle growth, energy and fat loss. If you're getting your growth hormone through the end of a needle you don't have to worry about it but for the rest of us intermittent fasting is important. You gotta go back to the guys to get the science on this one. One thing that helps me do it is that I don't think of it as 16 hours a day of fasting but rather 8 hours a day of eating!

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment