Social Media Trends

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Social Media Trends

Postby desertrat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 am

Black Meteorologist Fired For Defending 'Ethnic' Hair
Great discussion of this situation. Firing this lady was completely unjustified. She should follow any existing company policy, BUT firing her is going way too far. Her responses to comments were reasonable and not gratuitously insulting. She should file a lawsuit since obviously her rights have been violated.
:curse:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 am

Facebook and FBI Team To Take Down Cybercrime Ring
An $850-million Facebook botnet crime spree involving 11 million computers?!!! Dang!
:puzzled:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Social Media Trends

Postby wildrose » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

Social media has been buzzing about the U.S. election
Interesting analysis of world wide Twitter trends. :pac:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

CactusHugger wrote: Woman Fired For Racist Obama Facebook Post
I totally disagree with some of what the commentators in this clip have to say. They say that a private company should have the right to fire an employ over a racist Facebook comment. Absolutely not! What an employee does in his or her personal life is absolutely none of the employer's business. You can't fire someone because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. and you most definitely should not be allowed to fire an employee over something like this! I don't like people who make racist comments, but I also might not like people for other reasons and none of those reasons are grounds for firing an employee.

Freedom to publicly declare your opinions is no different than freedom of religion as far as I'm concerned. If you're only covered when you adhere to the doctrine of an organized religion then there is no such thing as meaningful individual rights! An employer does not have the right to interfere with what you do when you're not working for him/her and terminating employment in reaction to a statement made on the internet which was not made during company time is interference of the most pernicious kind!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

Woman Fired For Racist Obama Facebook Post
I totally disagree with some of what the commentators in this clip have to say. They say that a private company should have the right to fire an employ over a racist Facebook comment. Absolutely not! What an employee does in his or her personal life is absolutely none of the employer's business. You can't fire someone because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. and you most definitely should not be allowed to fire an employee over something like this! I don't like people who make racist comments, but I also might not like people for other reasons and none of those reasons are grounds for firing an employee.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

Baby boomers and social technology
A comparison is made in this news clip between music and technology. It is pointed out that boomers are really into technology, but not so much social media and smart phones, the same way they were into rock n roll, but not so enthusiastic about hip hop. Makes it sound like social media and smart phones might be passing fads.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

24 hours of election day Twitter trends
BTW, did anyone actually vote for Roseanne Barr? :up2:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Donald Trump's Clownish Election Tweets
This video starts out pretty slow, but during the last couple minutes it gets more interesting. Great points made right before the end!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Obama Claims Most Popular Twitter and Facebook Posts Ever
What a guy! :roll2:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

New GOP Smartphone App Streamlines Voter Discrimination In Swing States
It's a good thing The Onion posted this after the election, otherwise the GOP probably would have actually tried this. After all, they did everything else in their power to disenfranchise minority voters!
:curse:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment