Energy Drinks

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Energy Drinks

Postby desertrat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:45 am

Re: CRAZE
I always find it funny when companies insist on disputing findings made by legitimate scientists. It almost seems like the companies think that they are above the facts. Eventually there will be a lawsuit and their arrogance will come back to haunt them!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:31 am

Should energy be drinks be labeled? :mad2:
Same rules that apply to cigarettes should apply to these drinks. Ban the sale and use of these products by children younger than eighteen. Simple solution. (BTW, other caffeinated drinks such as Dr. Pepper or the various cola drinks should also be banned for minors.)
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:39 am

I don't know very many kids that take energy drinks. Banning them would probably make them think they are cool and create more of a demand. Fantastic marketing idea! I remember being upset as a kid because every soda on the market except 7up contained caffeine. Why on earth would they put that stuff in Orange soda?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:40 am

Hmm.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:13 pm

MONSTER Energy drinks are the work of SATAN!!!
I think this lady is on to something. Not only are these drinks physically unhealthy for kids to drink, but the company is spiritually corrupt. The popularity of this product is something to be concerned about.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:51 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Monster energy drinks are the work of Satan, but they do taste terrible! I agree that the drinks are unhealthy, especially for kids. Also it does seem that they market their products (including apparel) to kids and that they should be prohibited from doing that. However, I'm not buying any of the religious BS. Sorry, but I'm just not into that superstitious BS!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 am

Sugar, caffeine and taurine make a good energy drink. If people used them only in emergencies and rare occasions like they were intended there would be no problem. When you drink that stuff every day it looses it's effect and pretty soon you need to have one just to feel normal and that's where the problem lies because these drinks contain little or no nutrition and were never intended to be a main food source. Also I have found nothing wrong with taurine. It is often added to pet food and keeps cats from going blind. Use them when you want a rare and sudden burst of energy and they will work for you but if you try and live off them they will suck all the nutrition out of your body, leaving your bones brittle, your muscles weak and your nerves shot.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:33 pm

Are Energy Drinks Really That Dangerous?
Energy drinks are helpful in the short run, but not so great in the long run.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:42 am

Why You Should Wait Before You Caffeinate :sun:
Some tips to help people properly time the morning dose of caffeine.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:20 am

That video made sense till he started talking about cortisol. Cortisol is the stress hormone and is usually too high in almost everyone. If it's true that the caffeine lowers cortisol it seems like that would be a good thing but then he seems to contradict himself saying that waiting 90 minutes allows the caffeine to raise the cortisol levels. Did I understand him correctly? How can it do both? There is a lot of debate whether caffeine is good at all. Almost all of it's effects are bad though it's supposed to be good in moderation for exercise and even said to raise testosterone levels. For a while I was drinking a cup or two a day but then I started getting headaches when I also started drinking grapefruit juice. It turns out that grapefruit juice interacts with many medications, making their effects much stronger and caffeine is one of them. Many people have overdosed on their medications because of combining them with grapefruit juice. It wasn't known till recently that grapefruit juice did this. It was actually learned accidentally in an alcohol study when grapefruit juice was offered as a mixer for taste and many of the people that chose it instead of plain vodka were having adverse reactions. There is an entire great big list of medications that are affected by grapefruit juice that I can't even begin to remember but edible marijuana comes to mind. I'll bet you didn't know that brownie could be made much stronger if you downed it with a side of grapefruit juice. Rather than give up the grapefruit juice I chose to give up the caffeine. It's up for debate as to how much it can strengthen the dose of medications but I've read claims of up to 500 percent. It seems only natural to me that if it can do this with medications it must also do it with a lot of other nutritional substances naturally occurring in our food. Really I feel the grapefruit deserves it's own thread. If anyone is interested in starting one I'll gladly contribute what I know but that's pretty much everything off the top of my head about it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment