Walmart In The News!

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Walmart In The News!

Postby surfsteve » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:20 am

Any news on when the new Super Walmart is supposed to be opening in Ridgecrest? I heard it was supposed to be some time this month. They sure have had the street tore up for a long time. What's that all about? Looks like they are getting close to that being done too. At least I don't see a big gaping hole half way to China anymore when I drive by.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Walmart in the News!

Postby CoolChick » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:51 am

surfsteve: I haven't heard anything concrete, but it seems that everything takes ten times as long as it should in Ridgecrest. They'll make simple alterations to the road and it'll take them three months to complete a job that should take maybe two weeks! My guess is that there's a lot of gold-bricking going on in Ridgecrest!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:21 am

If they left their construction sites up much longer they could almost generate enough revenue from speed traps around the reduced construction speed zones to pay for it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 am

The road crews in RC have contests to see who can come up with the most creative ways of causing the most inconvenience for the greatest number of people for the greatest amount of time. Either that or the people who do the planning are completely incompetent. Possibly roadwork jobs in RC are only open to people who are mentally handicapped. It's one of those affirmative action programs that are supposed to help mentally incapacitated individuals join the workforce. Whatever the issue might be, there's no doubt that something is profoundly dysfunctional about the way road construction projects get done in RC.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Ridgecrest WalMart Now Open
The Super WalMart in Ridgecrest is finally open!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 am

Finally! I've dropped several people off there to shop but haven't actually bought anything for myself from them yet. Checked out the shelves though. It appears to have everything the Superwalmarts in Lancaster have. I've noticed that some of the produce prices vary in that town among Walmarts; seems like the one next door to the Food For Less has lower prices in order to compete with them. Sure are a lot of cars at the new one in Ridgecrest. The place was a zoo. Someone asked me of they are open 24 hours and I forgot to check. Anybody know?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:39 am

That Super WalMart is super huge inside. A football field would easily fit in there. If the ceiling was a little higher a football game could even be played in there. Except maybe some of the kicks wouldn't work out so well. The selection was good and the only problem I had was figuring out where they had everything hid. It was hidden in plain sight, but there was a lot of territory to cover when tracking down the items I needed.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 am

It is big inside and it seems like more than Ridgecrest really needs. Does anyone know what is going to done with the old building, which was plenty big for Ridgecrest, BTW? It's a nice facility, but I don't see the construction costs being paid for through revenue generated from sales in that facitility for at least a couple decades!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:27 am

I agree Shadylady. Makes me wonder if the building was built by Walmart corporation or did somebody else build it with their own money. I'll bet the old Walmart was built by someone else. It doesn't make sense for Walmart to abandon a perfectly good building and build a new one. Especially when there was nothing but an empty field behind them. They could have easily just added on to it. Makes me think they suckered someone else into building it and left them holding the bag. The Walmart in Lancaster next to the Food For Less looks like they did the same thing. That Walmart also seems to have lower food prices than the rest of the Walmarts. They must have done it intentionally in order to compete with them. I suspect they will eventually put them out of business leaving another gaping hole. It used to be Walmart only put the mom and pop shops out of business but now it seems they are killing the larger ones too. How long do you think the Albertsons across the street from them in Ridgecrest will survive? Walmart is smart. People are a lot less likely to shop there than if it were right next door to them like the old Walmart was. Now that I think about it, Seems like even the lay out of the streets makes it difficult to go from Walmart to Albertsons. Doesn't it require a U turn to go from one parking lot to the other if you exit from Ridgecrest Blvd? Was that pure coincidence or Walmart's doing? I also notice that in front of Walmart is the only place that has landscaping in the middle of the Island creating a bit of a barrier. Everywhere else on the entire boulevard has only concrete and that phony cobblestone with a few sparse pieces of metal artwork separating it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:30 am

Wal-Mart Joins Forces With CarSaver to Sell Cars :roll2:
What's next? Real estate? Or do they already do that too?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News