Off-Limits Death Valley

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Off-Limits Death Valley

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 am

COPPER CANYON HIKE IN DEATH VALLEY
This canyon is off-limits and can only be visited under supervision of a park ranger. There are fossils being studied in the area and so they don't want visitors tampering with any of that stuff. Although this video has been available since 2010, many people frown on images and videos like this since they publicize locations which are protected. Notice that violators can be fined up to $5000 or face six months in prison.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Off-Limits Death Valley

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 am

Death Valley National Park Copper Canyon Closure
The Copper Canyon closure is unreasonable as it blocks access to many sites. Archeology nuts really need to bring it down a notch!
Coffin Canyon happens to be a fun canyoneering route that is affected by this closure. There are 3 ways to enter the Coffin Canyon route that I am aware of. One drops in from just below Dantes View, another drops into the main Coffin Wash near Styx Canyon and the last route simply starts from the highway and enter Lower Coffin Canyon by traversing from Copper Canyon. With the Copper Canyon closure being so large all of these routes to Coffin Canyon are technically closed. This blocks access to Coffin Canyon and Styx Canyon as well.

LINK: http://www.bluugnome.com/canyoneer_copper-canyon-closure_death-valley.aspx
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:08 am

Ancient beasts roamed this secret spot in Death Valley, but you probably can't go
This is an interesting canyon and it should be respected, but the park seems to going over-board with restrictions, threats, intimidation, etc. This approach alienates the public and promotes hostility.
Paleontologists call it “The Barnyard,” a remote box canyon in an inhospitable desert where slabs of mud stone as big as billboards are indented with fossil tracks left by mastodons, camels, horses and cats the size of leopards.

LINK: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-death-valley-fossils-20161116-story.html
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 am

deathvalleyjake: It's amazing how much of Death Valley has become off-limits in the last few years. Whether it's roads that have been closed or areas that have been declared off-limits such as the Coffin Canyon general area or the Keane Wonder Mine area, it's been a relentless pattern of closing more and more of what used to be accessible to the public.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BoraxBill » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:13 am

BoraxBill: The entire desert in this area has slowly become more and more inaccessible. Some environmental concerns are legitimate, but most aren't. It's sad that so many sites that were easy to get to a few years ago are now almost impossible to reach. Many sites require a hike of ten miles in and ten miles out. Most of us older people have a tough time doing that kind of hiking.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:11 am

I hate to be overly critical, but the park has really been poorly managed in recent years. The biggest problem is the continued closure of Trona-Wildrose Road. It's been out for basically two years and there doesn't seem to be any attempt being made to repair it. It's funny how I still pay taxes as I've always been required, but they don't do their job the same anymore. We're paying more and getting less. Thanks a lot!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:28 am

Can someone remind me? How many years has the Keane Wonder Mine been closed? Aren't we talking more than a decade by this time? Something is seriously wrong when such an interesting site is off-limits for over a decade. We're talking mismanagement at a level far beyond reason!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:49 pm

There is a revolving door at the superintendents desk and there is a lack of funding....for starters
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:41 am

DVNP has sure deteriorated in the last few years. Whether it's under funding or mismanagement or a lot of both is hard to say for sure, but I'm paying more in taxes than ever and getting less for that money than ever. So, something is definitely broken and needs to be fixed!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:06 am

twister wrote:DVNP has sure deteriorated in the last few years. Whether it's under funding or mismanagement or a lot of both is hard to say for sure, but I'm paying more in taxes than ever and getting less for that money than ever. So, something is definitely broken and needs to be fixed!

You are paying for bombs and drones attacks in the middle east....that's where the money is going........ To war industrial complex.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring