California versus Trump

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

California versus Trump

Postby ergot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:48 pm

California Democrats ready to fight Trump
Trump had better be ready to make some deals since he won't be able to take on the single state with the greatest GDP. If he withholds federal funding from the state that makes the greatest contribution to the federal coffers, he won't last long. I'm not saying what side I favor, but reality is reality. Trump seems to be an east coast American and I'm not sure how familiar he is with the west coast. The learning curve will be steep and he can only distract people with brain dead tweets for so long.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: California versus Trump

Postby dilbert » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Election Results
Statewide it was like this:
Clinton - 8,753,788 votes (61.5%)
Trump - 4,483,810 votes (31.5%)
Johnson - 478,500 votes (3.4%)
Stein - 278,657 votes (2.0%)
---------------------
Obama won California by 23.1 percentage points in 2012. Hillary beat Trump by 30 percentage points in this election. Only small, rural counties (such as Kern and Inyo) produced more votes for Trump than Clinton. Interestingly over five times as many voters in Alameda County voted for Hillary (486,351) than voted Trump (91,189). I'm not sure what's happening in Alameda County to explain that. But the point is that Ergot is right about California in many ways and Trump will need to be careful how he deals with issues which are of concern to the majority of Californians. It will make or break his presidency.

LINK: http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/california
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Gyrocopter Man Joins Calexit Movement
This could actually happen. Too many people in California feel like their votes don't count. Not sure what happens to all the military bases here in California if we became our own country, but this is something that Trump will have to deal with and the chances of him dealing with it effectively are worse than a special little snowflake's chances of lasting more than a few seconds in the middle of Death Valley on the hottest day in July.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby camel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:34 pm

I would never in a million years have voted for Clinton and the same is true for Trump. They were two of the worst candidates in the history of this nation. If Hillary had won I could see the status quo established during Obama's two terms continuing fairly stably, but with Trump it's hard to say what will happen. I predict a disaster within two years. It might be a war, his impeachment, states with serious initiatives to separate from the USA, or something completely unforeseeable, but I predict something that can be categorized as a major disruption. I will be surprised if Trump makes it through four years unscathed.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:59 am

camel: I predict that Trump's performance will be very similar to Schwarzenegger's. After the initial novelty of having a celebrity as leader wears off, reality will set in and we'll have some major problem come along which will make it abundantly clear that he can't handle the job. Populist movements usually end that way. The funny thing about Trump isn't so much how popular he is, but how incredibly unpopular Hillary is and the ironic thing is that she still kicked his ass in terms of total votes.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:02 pm

panamint_patty wrote:camel: I predict that Trump's performance will be very similar to Schwarzenegger's. After the initial novelty of having a celebrity as leader wears off, reality will set in and we'll have some major problem come along which will make it abundantly clear that he can't handle the job. Populist movements usually end that way. The funny thing about Trump isn't so much how popular he is, but how incredibly unpopular Hillary is and the ironic thing is that she still kicked his ass in terms of total votes.

I predict that Schwarzenegger's performance on Celebrity apprentice will be similar to Trump's.
That's said I was thinking the same Panamint Patty.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Trump's Attack On Sanctuary Cities Explained
This is one of the areas where Trump could come into direct conflict with a huge portion of the population of California. Los Angeles and San Francisco as well as many other cities are all sanctuary cities. If Trump pushes this issue and decides to withhold federal funds from these cities, then we could see some major political conflict, not to mention huge protest rallies. It will be interesting to see how hard Trump pushes on this issue or if he comes up with an effective strategy to achieve his goals.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:17 am

sandman: I agree that this is an area where there could be huge problems for Trump. Although I'm not a fan of Trump, I'm also not a fan of sanctuary cities. I believe that local officials should work with federal officials to solve the problem of illegal immigration. Local authorities should not undermine the efforts of federal authorities, especially in this area. A wall would not be something that anyone would even need to discuss if local authorities supported the efforts of federal authorities. A lot of money is wasted because of this failure to work together.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:47 am

Support for 'Calexit' Rises After Trump's Win
Although I believe that more people in California are in favor of secession than ever before, I don't think this CalExit thing can be taken seriously. Supposedly, it will actually be on the ballot in 2018, but I think it will fail miserably and besides, by then Trump will probably have been impeached.
According to a new Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll, over one in every three California residents supports the U.S. state's withdrawal from country following Donald Trump's victory in the presidential election. The 32 percent support rate for a proposed 'Calexit' is sharply higher than the last time Californians were asked about secession back in 2014, when just 20 percent favored it. According to Reuters, the poll surveyed over 500 Californians from December 6 to January 19 and has a credibility interval of five percentage points.

Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 am

CalExit: Not gonna happen. It might make it on the ballot, but Trump will be history before anything like that ever passes. There's a pretty good likelihood that Trump will get himself impeached, but the chances of California forming its own country are somewhere between slim and none.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Local News