The future of mining

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

The future of mining

Postby BoraxBill » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 am

The future of mining
They talk about mining overseas in this report, but mining is important around here too. As other countries start taxing more and requiring higher wages the USA becomes more competitive. We'll see what happens...
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Re: The future of mining

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am

With all the environmental regulations and red tape it will never be cost-effective to mine in California! Boxer, Pelosi, and Feinstein will make darn sure of it too!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:39 am

The apparent plan is to sell our coal to China and have them burn it over seas so the wind blows it over America. Then use up our farming resources to produce less green energy than was initially put in and offset the loss to the farmers with government subsidies from an already bankrupt nation. If we were being bombed we would be able to see our enemies.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby jarhead » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 am

CRUSTY: Mining is what made American strong! We have all the natural resources we could possible need if only we didn't have all these environmental restrictions in place blocking our ability to use them. No wonder our economy is on the brink of collapse.
jarhead
Greenhorn

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:34 am

jarhead wrote:CRUSTY: Mining is what made American strong! We have all the natural resources we could possible need if only we didn't have all these environmental restrictions in place blocking our ability to use them. No wonder our economy is on the brink of collapse.

Some in the “Know” want us to stop using the natural resources that built the Nations dominance in the past and replace that with tech based industry. Then those same in the “Know” crowd dumb down the schools. I’m sure I’m wrong but that’s what I see.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby ergot » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:33 pm

California Gold Rush Not Over: HUGE 18 Oz Gold Nugget Found!!
Gold may not come in nuggets in the northern Mojave, but this nugget was found in California near Gold Rush territory.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:43 pm

Made In Kern County: Golden Queen Mining Company
Just a little ways down south near Mojave, they've got themselves a major gold and silver mining operation.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue May 14, 2019 6:12 am

Based on the news about lithium in Panamint Valley, maybe mining does have a future in the area. Then again it ain't mining in the normal sense if you're just pumping slurry out from under a dry lake and just separating out the mineral that you're interested in.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 am

Putting up a bunch of windmills doesn't make you a farmer so I guess you got a point there.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:16 am

Lithium mine threatens rare desert flower
Protecting a rare desert plant is important. A foreign mining company's short-term profits aren't.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to Local News