TJUSD Board Meeting - July 13, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - July 13, 2017

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:02 am

Helping kids avoid the summer 'brain drain' before they head back to school
According to this report, kids can lose up to three reading levels in a single summer if they don't spend time practicing their reading skills. The easiest thing in the world for parents to do is require kids to spend thirty minutes a day reading. Just set aside quiet time and have the kids just sit and read. Afterwards have the kids tell a little about what they read. It doesn't take a research scientist to figure out something that obvious!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby ergot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:21 am

tronagirl: Obvious, you say? Not to parents who are complete dumbshits! A child can't help if his or her parents are complete dumbshits and most kids (especially the really young ones) aren't going to take the initiative to do this kind of thing on their own. Some say it's a cycle of learned stupidity (aka, helplessness), but I think it's mostly a matter of genetics.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 am

ergot: Been there, done that! :laugh:
As a retired teacher I can truthfully say that the biggest deterrent to a child's academic success is dysfunctional parents who fail to properly motivate and work with their child. Of course, as a teacher I did not use politically incorrect terms such as "dumbshit" in reference to these parents and I was always very polite to parents who deserved that title, but it was incredibly frustrating to deal with these people since they, as tronagirl pointed out, persistently failed to see what should have been incredibly obvious. As for the debate regarding nature versus nurture and concepts such as learned helplessness, I regrettably agree with what ergot said. Although there are occasional hopeful exceptions, as a general rule, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Early in my career I leaned more towards the nurture side in the nature versus nurture debate, but eventually I came to realize that genetics was the greatest single factor in determining the success of a child. Our one size fits all system (aka, mainstreaming) is not the answer. Children need to be supported at their own levels and mixing up a bunch of kids with ridiculously discrepant intellectually ability makes it almost impossible for a teacher to effectively met the needs of his or her students. Smaller class sizes with ability grouping and exclusion of disruptive and dysfunctional students is the answer. Unfortunately, politically correct California is moving in the opposite direction and the results have been abysmal and will only be getting worse.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 am

Parents to sue school district over 12-year-old daughter's suicide
There are limits to the supervision that a school district can provide. Just because messages are sent by other students, doesn't give the school district the right to get involved. Even if messages were sent at school during school time, it's not like the district has the legal right to confiscate student phones and search them. The parents need to accept the fact that they dropped the ball and that it was through their negligence that their daughter was driven to commit suicide. In fact, most likely it was the threat to pull her out of public school and send her to a private school that pushed her over the edge. Further, if the parents were aware of illegal activities, it would be the responsibility of the parents to contact law enforcement.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 am

Parents blame school for not preventing bullying they say led to daughter's suicide
These special snowflakes will get absolutely no sympathy from me. Cyberbullying is such a ridiculous concept. It seems to be nothing more than a weak excuse to feel sorry for oneself. These kids need to toughen up, but when they are constantly supervised by helicopter parents, they develop no ability to deal with normal negativity. So what if the girl was called fat or ugly? That's completely normal childhood teasing. It's not even close to being in the realm of bullying. So what if someone tells you to kill yourself? If you allow people who don't like you (or are temporarily angry at you) to run your life, then you're bound for a bad outcome! Helicopter parents need to realize that they are crippling their kids by micromanaging their kids' every social interaction. I blame this situation completely on bad parenting. To even suggest that the school should be held "accountable" is a ridiculous abdication of basic responsibility by the parents in this case and, yes, I realize it must be difficult for them to come to grips with the situation which they spawned through their helicopter parent behaviors.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:33 am

Family Guy - Chris And Meg School Fight Scene
Best fight scene choreography ever! Excellent shish kabob at the end too!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:55 am

Sierra Sands Unified School District :dizzy:
Is it just me or does the superintendent seem a little, shall we say, tipsy?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 am

Former Poway superintendent facing felony charges
This kind of thing is VERY common. Superintendents often arrange for public funds to be used in this way. Info usually leaks out to the staff at a school and gets shared between teachers in different school districts at conferences and through other channels, but seldom is there a formal investigation. Rumors abound regarding a superintendent in Trona during the 1990s. Besides misuse of public funds there are also payoffs where companies give superintendents "incentives" for large purchases of their products. There's plenty of corruption behind the scenes. Sometimes even school board members are beneficiaries of this kind of thing.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:29 am

School bus driver crochets adorable toys for kids
This kind of thing would only be possible in a small school.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Shady Superintendent

Postby shadylady » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:17 am

wildrose: I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the sup from the 1990s and I have a little inside info on that one. My contact has since passed away, but I'm very sure that there was some misuse of public funds going on during that time.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News