Weight Loss and Physical Fitness

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Weight Loss and Physical Fitness

Postby shadylady » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:52 am

tronagirl: You're right that injuries can be discouraging and that back problems are one of the most common injuries which prevent people from exercising. It's sort of a Catch-22 kind of situaiton though. Many people don't exercise because of injuries and so their bodies deteriorate even more which makes it even more unlikely that they'll remain injury free should they try to start exercising in the future. It's best to get into a daily routine where you at least do something. Stretching is a great way to start and most people can at least walk a little. Even a half mile is better than nothing.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 am

Lots of back problems mask themselves and are actually kidney and other problems. They can sometimes be triggered by exercise and are often triggered by toxins from the environment, diet or prescription drugs and be a combination of factors. Fluoride poisoning can also cause back problems. Especially in individuals who are sensitive to it. For some people the amount that is added to the water supply can be enough to trigger problems. Many prescription drugs are made from fluoride based compounds. Don't forget that enzymes help get rid of toxins. Often it is just that a person did a combination of things to exceed their threshold. Too much sitting can also trigger back problems. Walking is one of the very best exercises. Doing those exercises in the video would probably be very helpful and a good place to start. But don't stop there.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:47 am

Knee problems are probably the most common injury which prevents people from exercising and that's a Catch-22 situation for a lot of people too since knee problems are often caused by carrying too much weight, but to lose the weight exercsing is necessary and so once you're in that double-bind it's pretty tough getting out. I think back problems and knee problems are both pretty common and they both limit the exercises that people can do. Good luck to anyone starting an exercise program this new year!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 am

I always thought that football type injuries were the major cause of knee problems. I guess arthritis would also be a major cause. Rheumatoid arthritis is said to be an auto immune disease of which there are a lot of alternative treatments for. You could always do stuff like bench press and swimming if you have knee problems along with half the exercises in the the videos of the first post.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Weight Lss and Physical Fitness

Postby tronagirl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:41 am

shadylady: Daily routines are great, but a lot of people don't have fixed schedules and it's hard for them to fit in twenty minutes for a quick workout. That's especially true if you work and have children to take care of. There's just so many hours in the day! I admire and envy people who workout everyday, but it's not so easy for everybody.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Trona girl. What do people that don't have fixed schedules have? Broken schedules?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:21 am

surfsteve: What I meant by fixed schedule is one that is reliably predictable. A lot of people in Trona work on rotating shifts or are married to someone who does and if you have kids it's hard to stick to much of a schedule. You run around all day and often by the end of the day you didn't manage to squeeze a workout in. You get discouraged and give up, feeling like you've failed yet again. And it's even worse if you ate too much during the day. Many people give up and just let themselves go.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Fixed Schedules

Postby twister » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:24 am

tronagirl: I've known a lot of people who have crazy work schedules. It's bad enough to work a graveyard shift or some other odd shift, but it's even worse when your hours change constantly and sometimes you work during the day while other times it's evening or graveyard or whatever the people who make the schedules dream up. Split shifts can be especially crazy. People with fixed work schedules who work normal daytime hours don't realize how lucky they are!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:49 am

twister: Most people I know who work irregular hours get paid ten to twenty percent more than they would otherwise get paid. That's to compensate them for the stress of working irregular hours. It takes a toll on your body and many people wind up with health issues as the result of irregular sleep schedules and there's a tendency for people on weird schedules to gain weight and not get proper exercise. Depression and other such issues are not uncommon. I had to work weird hours for a couple years early in my career, but when the opportunity came for more normal hours and good pay came along, I took it and was much better off as a result. Of course, now that I'm retired I don't have to worry about that sort of thing. Life begins when you reach retirement!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 am

Working irregular hours can definitely be stressful. It takes a toll on the mind and the body. Best to avoid if possible, but there are many work situations where weird shifts are very difficult to avoid.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment