Moral Panics

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Moral Panics

Postby BoraxBill » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:00 am

mrfish wrote:As for this story about the flute guy, doesn't law enforcement have anything better to do? This whole story sounds like a waste of time, money, and other resources. I heard a rumor this week that cops aren't dealing with burglaries and car theft because they don't consider real crimes to be priorities anymore. And so, it would seem that they prefer to waste time on fantasy crimes like this one. I'd rather just let this guy go and bust a dozen or so real criminals and that's assuming that this guy even actually did anything that would amount to more than a trivial misdemeanor.

Well, then... it's about time to change the slogan from PROTECT AND SERVE to NEGLECT AND PERV. Apparently dealing with sex crimes is more ENTERTAINING than dealing with real crimes and rather than protect people from real crimes, cops would rather be entertained by stuff they can vicariously perv over. What a sorry bunch of losers!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:50 pm

BoraxBill wrote:
mrfish wrote:As for this story about the flute guy, doesn't law enforcement have anything better to do? This whole story sounds like a waste of time, money, and other resources. I heard a rumor this week that cops aren't dealing with burglaries and car theft because they don't consider real crimes to be priorities anymore. And so, it would seem that they prefer to waste time on fantasy crimes like this one. I'd rather just let this guy go and bust a dozen or so real criminals and that's assuming that this guy even actually did anything that would amount to more than a trivial misdemeanor.

Well, then... it's about time to change the slogan from PROTECT AND SERVE to NEGLECT AND PERV. Apparently dealing with sex crimes is more ENTERTAINING than dealing with real crimes and rather than protect people from real crimes, cops would rather be entertained by stuff they can vicariously perv over. What a sorry bunch of losers!

:bow: Nailed it!

I'd much rather see burglaries and car theft be prioritized than see time wasted on trivial crimes. I am told when a local volunteer fireman was arrested for sex with a minor a few months ago that they had a small army scouring the house for forensic evidence. Save that kind of effort for serious crimes such as burglary and auto theft if you want to keep my vote!
:curse:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 am

MojaveMike: Amen to that! I could not agree more! Our values have been turned upside down over the course of the last few decades. Right is wrong and up is down and hot is cold. Our priorities are completely backwards. Take care of real crimes first and only deal with less serious matters as time affords. A blowjob is not something that justifies expenditure of resources. However, property crimes should be taken seriously. Fail to do that and there will be some angry people ready to defend their property at gun point. I guarantee you that!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:11 am

NEGLECT AND PERV: You make an excellent point, but it's not all the fault of law enforcement agencies. In fact, most of the problem should be blamed on politicians who use emotionally triggering issues such as sex crimes to score political points. The public should demand more, but quite frequently the public gets caught up in moral crusades which allow for the creation of laws we don't need and which actually do more harm than good.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 am

cactuspete from SEXUAL GRIEVANCE INDUSTRY wrote:No Sex in America Anymore! Top Russsian Journo Ridicules Harvey Weinstein & Kevin Spacey Hypocrisy
It's sad that we must go outside our own borders for sanity when it comes to media coverage of these types of accusations. I've seen several discussions of "the problem" produced by the likes of CNN, ABC, CBS, etc. and not one provided a neutral discussion which included the highly probable likelihood that the accusations are false and that the accusers hope to profit from the publicity or have a revenge motive or some other agenda. It's intellectually insulting when news outlets push an agenda and fail to acknowledge that these women are fabricating events which never happened. When so many women come forward in such a short time, then it becomes ridiculously obvious that this is one of those hysterical events in American history where the general public is caught up in a frenzy of complete and total bullshit... but it holds the interest of viewers and is good for ratings... so what the heck!

A good journalist would give equal time to both sides of an accusation instead of automatically bolstering the story of the accuser. This is definitely agenda-driven pseudo-journalism. It's also indicative of the kind of thing that happens during a Moral Panic, which is why I copied cactuspete's post from the Sexual Grievance Industry thread to this one. Moreover, you'd think people would be a lot more skeptical after the Rolling Stone rape hoax story.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 am

Regarding the Вести video, I wrote this to a friend in Russia:
There has been a wave of sexual accusations made against famous men during the past couple years. Bill Cosby was big news for awhile and now there are about a half dozen producers and actors being accused of all sorts of stuff. IMHO most of these accusations are either fabricated or exaggerated or misleading. I'm sure that these guys had sex with a number of women, but it is more likely than not that the women approached the men and made themselves available in hopes of getting preferred treatment with the goal of winning a role in a movie or TV show. Most of them botched their auditions, apparently, and are mad that they didn't get what they wanted and so they are twisting their stories around into accusations which are most likely false. At any rate, it's turned into a big media circus with the media siding the the false accusers and concluding without reflection that the accused are guilty.

Is this media circus a distraction or just a reflection of the dysfunctional nature of American society? We had the Salem Witch Trials a couple centuries ago, McCarthyism in the 1950s, and since 1980 we've had a never ending series of ridiculous sex-related legal cases, most of which have turned out to be utter and complete bullshit! The hysteria never ends! Why are Americans so easily baited into believing these false accusations? It seems odd that the Вести editorial seems more accurate and sober in its assessment of the situation than does anything I've seen produced by American media!
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

blackturtle.us: Well put. I'd just add that actresses (aspiring or accomplished) are natural drama queens and when an opportunity to take center stage presents itself, they'll take it irregardless of who they might throw under the bus along the way. There is nothing too embarrassing or degrading that could ever stand in their way when it comes to gaining fame, even if it's only fifteen minutes of fame shared with a grotesque crowd of other drama queens hurling out nonsensical false accusations.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 am

YouTube Promises To Stop ElsaGate/Softcore Snuff Film Entertainment
Alex Jones is all over the place on this one. It seems like he is intent on reliving the 1980s and all that SRA (Satanic Ritual Abuse) bullshit. The bit about violent cartoon content seems especially dumb. I'm pretty sure he's completely oblivious to the existence of the Happy Tree Friends series which has been around since 1999. In fact, the MondoMedia channel on YouTube has over 3 million subscribers and over 2 billion views. It seems kind of stupid and naive to assert that this kind of content is something new!
LINK: https://www.youtube.com/MondoMedia
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 am

sandman: Alex Jones is a clueless windbag and as for all the hubbub over these YouTube videos, it's just big media trying to shut down alternative media. You see worse stuff put out by big media all the time, but very little outrage when the same thing is done by big media. Free speech is a priority to me and arbitrarily clamping down on a few YouTube channels that aren't really guilty of anything while completely ignoring far worse content put out by big media seems more than a little discriminatory to me. Hopefully a big lawsuit will push YouTube towards honoring the rights of small content creators.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 am

sandman: Some of the stuff I saw was a little weird, but you're right about it being no worse than a lot of stuff on TV or in movies. YouTube does give a lot more latitude to media companies than to small content creators. That's definitely not fair and I agree that it's discriminatory. Probably a lawsuit is in order since it is a matter of money. Potentially lots of money.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues