ATV/ORV Accidents

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ORV Accidents

Postby cactuspete » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 am

Dangerous Stunt - Video Shows Man On Dirt Bike Flying Over Freeway In Moreno Valley
There's no doubt that laws were broken. Probably several. It will be interesting to see what kind of trouble the guy gets into. My prediction is that it will be a moderate fine somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 to $2000, but you never know how authorities are going to react to stunts like this. Sometimes the nip-it-in-the-bud approach is taken and the penalty is very harsh and other times it's a no-harm-no-foul attitude. You never know.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Teen hit by dune buggy on Thanksgiving trip
I'm sure there were dozens if not hundreds of ORV accidents over the T-day holiday weekend, but this one was a hit and run and so it gets a little extra media attention.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 am

ergot: Not sure if it would be dozens, hundreds, or thousands, but there's money to be made selling ORVs and parts for ORVs and so the news media isn't likely to say too much about the actual number of injuries. Most of the injuries would just be broken bones with only a few permanent injuries on a long weekend like the T-day holiday.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 am

sandman: Safety equipment makes money too and so more news might help sell more of that kind of gear, but it might also raise public awareness of the number of minors who get injured in ORV accidents and that could result in a bunch of laws which clamp down on negligent parents and put an end to this so-called 'family' activity. That would damage profits made by companies that sell ORVs and related products. It would also prevent a lot of needless injuries, but that's not the bottom line for big corporations.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sierra_jim » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am

On a closely related topic: Snowmobile accidents are also quite common. It's hard to say which racks up more fatalities each year, but both ORVS (quads, sandrails, motorcycles, etc.) and snowmobiles produce plenty of injuries and deaths. It's the kind of thing you can pretty much count on. Actually plenty of deaths caused by jet skis and seadoos too.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cactuspete » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:14 am

On the radio I heard that most ORV accidents go unreported. How they know that I'm not entirely sure, but although fatalities are fairly high the injury rate is astronomical. The commentator said it was at absolute epidemic levels and that something needed to be done, especially in the case of young ORV riders. My experience supports this as I do see quite a few young riders out in the desert around Ridgecrest and in the area between Pioneer Point and Trona. There seems to be no attempt to supervise these kids at all. It's an accident waiting to happen!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am

cactuspete: No need to wait for an accident to happen, there have been a few in the area in just the last few months. I'm not sure if any were even reported to law enforcement, although at least one must have been since it involved an ambulance. I don't have any details other than that at least one involved a minor and that a couple were serious enough to require at least a night or two in the hospital. The word epidemic gets used rather loosely sometimes, but I'd say it applies here!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:37 am

tronagirl: I know of a few local accidents and I surfed around a bit online to see what I could find and curiously I found info only about a couple of the accidents that I'm aware of. Any accident involving hospitalization should be reported, especially if it involves a juvenile. Could it be that local law enforcement is failing to file reports on these accidents or are the hospitals dropping the ball? The word epidemic applies here, but these cases are kept under wraps for some reason. The public needs to know and laws need to be enforced or more people will be injured or worse.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 am

shadylady: I have nothing against ORVs providing that they are used responsibly, but irresponsible ORV use could reasonably be characterized as an epidemic as already stated. Law enforcement does next to nothing. They'd rather look the other way and munch on their doughnuts. Meanwhile some kid will die in an ORV accident which could have easily been prevented and they'll just shrug their shoulders, completely oblivious to their own culpability.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby ergot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Man in grave condition after crash involving pickup truck and a quad in Phelan
Quads don't belong on paved roads. Period. End of discussion!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News