Neighbors

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Neighbors

Postby wildrose » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am

panamint_patty: I think your friend is a pretty shrewd observer of human nature. I'd add one thing though. There are plenty of smart and considerate people in small towns, but they tend to not be terribly socially assertive and so the assholes tend to really stick out in small towns. It's an unfortunate reality, but it seems to go with the territory.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:24 am

panamint_patty and wildrose: I tend to agree with your assessment and I'll share a neighbor rating system that my uncle came up with. He said that the really intelligent people park their cars in their garage. People of average intelligence park their cars in their driveway. Not so smart people park their cars in their yard (front, side, or back) and the really stupid people park their cars on the street. Obviously any system like this isn't going to be completely accurate, but when you think about it, where you park your car does say a lot about your level of intelligence.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby camel » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 am

Another way to classify neighbors is by the pets they own. Cat people are often thought to be different than dog people. And then there are people who own both dogs and cats and other people who own neither. IMHO what really matters is how neighbors take care of their pets. Negligent pet owners allow poop to accumulate until it stinks up the neighborhood or they allow their dogs to bark or their cats to breed and have kittens repeatedly. Responsible owners allow none of that to happen.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:29 am

Whether they're your neighbors or people you work with or go to church with there are two types of people: generally responsible and generally irresponsible. Irresponsible neighbors allow their kids or pets to disturb the neighborhood, while responsible people keep their yards tidy and are friendly, but not nosey. MYOB is a good policy, but it's important to keep in touch with your neighbors and to develop strong channels of communication so that any problems that may develop can be worked through with minimal friction.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:24 am

shadylady: I care less about responsibility and more about consideration. There are considerate and inconsiderate neighbors and you might say that responsibility and consideration go hand in hand, but they're not exactly the same thing. On the other hand, being irresponsible often winds up turning into unintended inconsideration for a number of reasons. So, one way or the other all of us prefer good neighbors to bad ones!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Man who executed neighbor has no regrets
If I were on the jury I would have found him not guilty. Assholes who play loud music deserve to die. I might even go so far as to give this guy a medal of valor for eliminating a rude, obnoxious, worthless asshole neighbor.
Investigators said Ke opened his neighbor’s front door Tuesday afternoon and walked in to “surprise” Tudor, who was unarmed and holding a small dog when Ke shot him once. The bleeding victim held his hand out as if to shield himself from more harm before he was shot several more times.

:thumb:
LINK: https://nypost.com/2018/01/25/man-says-he-executed-neighbor-over-adult-bullying/
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm

desertrat wrote:Man who executed neighbor has no regrets
If I were on the jury I would have found him not guilty. Assholes who play loud music deserve to die. I might even go so far as to give this guy a medal of valor for eliminating a rude, obnoxious, worthless asshole neighbor.
Investigators said Ke opened his neighbor’s front door Tuesday afternoon and walked in to “surprise” Tudor, who was unarmed and holding a small dog when Ke shot him once. The bleeding victim held his hand out as if to shield himself from more harm before he was shot several more times.

LINK: https://nypost.com/2018/01/25/man-says-he-executed-neighbor-over-adult-bullying/

Funny! If more people demanded that neighbors be polite and considerate, maybe law enforcement would actually do something. Too many people endure intrusive noise without complaining enough. Holding it in too long leads to the kind of situation described in your article. I agree with you. If I were on the jury I'd find him not guilty. It's a matter of self-defense as far as I'm concerned. It's surprising that there aren't more murders and mass murders over noise issues.
Good neighbors keep their noise to themselves.

NOISE POLLUTION CLEARINGHOUSE: http://www.nonoise.org/index.htm
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm

recluse wrote:

Funny! If more people demanded that neighbors be polite and considerate, maybe law enforcement would actually do something. Too many people endure intrusive noise without complaining enough. Holding it in too long leads to the kind of situation described in your article. I agree with you. If I were on the jury I'd find him not guilty. It's a matter of self-defense as far as I'm concerned. It's surprising that there aren't more murders and mass murders over noise issues.

It shouldn't take a mass murder for law enforcement to get off their lazy asses and actually do something, but sometimes that's the only thing that can bring about meaningful change. I agree that neighbors should keep their noise to themselves. It seems like common sense and basic consideration, but many people have neither. Otherwise reasonable people can be pushed beyond their limits by unreasonable people. I'd vote not guilty too to be quite honest. It was a completely justifiable homicide.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:15 am

Downward spirals never end well. Sometimes it's a murder as we see in this case, but there is a long list of other possibilities along the way: broken windows, lawsuits, dead or missing pets, slashed tires... you name it I've heard all kinds of stories which include all of these items. With all the new gadgets that are out now, there's no end to the havoc that a creative and suitably angry person can cause. In these days of mass murders it's a miracle that we don't see more neighborhood problems turn into homicide scenes. Once a rude neighbor initiates the downward spiral through a thoughtless act of inconsideration, the overall situation deteriorates. It's very hard to break a downward spiral once it gets started.

What kinds of events initiate a downward spiral? Sometimes it's something petty like a piece of trash which blows onto someone's yard or a bush which hangs across a property line or maybe a complaint about a car belonging to another neighbor being parked in front of someone's house. In such cases I'd blame the person who is overly sensitive and suggest that that person should be more reasonable. Other times it's something more serious such as a barking dog, loud music, loud yard care equipment (leaf blowers are notorious examples of this), the smell of pet feces accumulated in the yard, or possibly kids throwing rocks or balls against the fence. People should be responsible enough to realize that these things are not reasonable and that most people are angered by such assaults on their otherwise peaceful homes. I like the slogan someone posted: Good neighbors keep their noise to themselves. (In the case of dog crap, that slogan might need to substitute smell for noise, but you get the drift!)
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:30 am

recluse wrote:

I had to deal with a noisy neighbor a few years ago. Fortunately, where I lived at the time the police were responsible and took care of business. Equipment was confiscated and the guy paid a fine of $750. Problem solved.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News