Food Is Weird

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Food Is Weird

Postby wildrose » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen Checklist
Fruits, vegetables, flax, beans/lentils, turmeric, etc. Stuff you more or less already know, but organized in a way to make it easy to shop.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:46 am

Lab-To-Table: How Synthetic Food Went From Flavorings To Hamburgers
Soylent green is people!!!! They're not actually making food from people, but there is a new meal replacement product called Soylent.
Soylent Green: The movie... It's the year 2022... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrgreen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 pm

USDA approves genetically modified edible cottonseeds
Genetic science solving the world's problems as usual! :thumb:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: GMO COTTONSEEDS

Postby wildrose » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 am

mrgreen: I'm not planning on being among the first to try GMO cottonseeds, but if they catch on (and no one dies) I might give them a try! I'm not a big fan of hummus, but I don't find it completely unpalatable either.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 am

Sheep Eyeball Juice, Maggoty Cheese Among Yuckiest Exhibits At The Disgusting Food Museum
This is some weird food and the people who eat the stuff are even weirder!
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 am

The race to save endangered foods
I generally don't like Vox, but this video could have been made just as easily by a conservative media outlet until the end where they bring up "global warming."
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 am

8 Warning Signs of Orthorexia
This sounds like a fake disorder made up by the food industry in order to persuade people to eat the crap they make and sell. While some people have inaccurate ideas about what constitutes a healthy diet and some people are prone to compulsive behavior, there are certain common foods that should be avoided like the plague. I confess that I am not good at avoiding unhealthy foods, but I realize that I would be much better off if I avoided a short list of unhealthy foods such as trans fat, white flour, or refined sugar.
Although not formally recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, awareness about orthorexia is on the rise. The term ‘orthorexia’ was coined in 1998 and means an obsession with proper or ‘healthful’ eating. Although being aware of and concerned with the nutritional quality of the food you eat isn’t a problem in and of itself, people with orthorexia become so fixated on so-called ‘healthy eating’ that they actually damage their own well-being.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/learn/by-eating-disorder/other/orthorexia
https://www.waldeneatingdisorders.com/8-warning-signs-of-orthorexia/
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:38 am

panamint_patty: IMHO the purpose of articles like this is to help people who have horrible diets to continue to feel comfortable consuming unhealthy foods and that's perfectly alright with the food industry. They do make some attempt to develop healthier foods, but they'd prefer to just keep on making unhealthy garbage since that's what they are especially good at!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:41 am

4chan Declares War on Vegans
Vegans get called "Viggers" in this politically incorrect, but very funny, vlog. No apologies for having a sense of humor.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: VIGGERS

Postby KissMyTail » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:24 am

MojaveMike: You'll get no apologies from me either! Funny as heck and the political incorrectness is just a bonus! Damn dirty viggers need to stop complaining all the time!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips