The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby sandman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 am

Trona won their game Friday night (8/24) against Alpaugh with a score of 38-14. That almost seems like a hallow victory in light of the current discussion, but I'm sure that all involved are comfortably oblivious to the larger conversation being engaged in concerning the dangers of football. But as Mark Twain wrote: " No sane man can be happy, for to him life is real, and he sees what a fearful thing it is. Only the mad can be happy, and not many of those."
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 am

sandman: Looking at things more optimistically, we could say that not only did the boys win Friday night, but they can turn around and sue their coach and the school in a few years when the symptoms of brain trauma injuries start to show up. For them it's a double win!!!
:thumb: :laugh: :wtf:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 am

If football is to survive it's going to need to come up with a way to prevent schools from being sued. I think they should be asking themselves "What would Monsanto do if it were a high school and it's farmers were the foot ball players?"
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:34 am

shadylady: You have such a positive way of looking at things. Not only did the boys on the team get to celebrate a win on Friday, but they can look forward to a big settlement in the future. Of course the question is will they be able to enjoy the money while living with impaired brain function? Hopefully their coach has a good insurance policy!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:22 am

So... I read about a settlement from the school district in San Diego in which a high school boy received two million dollars as the result of being sexually abused (and I use that term loosely) by a rather attractive female teacher. If getting to have sex with an attractive woman gets you a two million dollar settlement, then I've got to figure the amount you get for brain injury must be at least two billion dollars. That is assuming that settlements are proportional to the amount of damage actually done. IMHO in the case of the boy in San Diego the district should have sent the boy a bill for two thousand dollars for services rendered, but since prostitution is not legal in California, I guess that was out of the question.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am

CrustyOldFart: Two thousand dollars for services rendered? That's a pretty good deal! My understanding is that the affair between the fifteen-year-old student and the thirty-seven-year-old teacher went on for eight months and that well over a dozen encounters were sexual in nature. Of course, we don't have a detailed list of the services rendered, but based on my business experience I'd estimate that the total value of services rendered would be somewhere between four and ten thousand dollars and that's not including gratuities!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Friday Night Highlights Week 11: Trona vs Orcutt Academy
It was a loss, but it was a playoff game. The outcome might have been different if the game had been played in The Pit!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 am

Is 'bad science' trying to kill football?
Denial is not just a river. Just because science isn't 100% conclusive, 90% is still pretty good and provides plenty of reason for caution. This guy fixates on the ten percent of doubt that exists and pretends that it's way more than ten percent and uses that as an excuse, a very weak excuse.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:16 am

MojaveMike: What do you expect? The guy loves football and stands to make lots of money as long as the game remains popular. It's easy for him in his mind to rationalize excuses based on tiny holes in the science underlying head injury. Of course he's probably also one of those people who would put a lot of pressure on a teacher to change a grade in order to make a key player eligible for a game. He's not exactly intellectually honest. It's all about football.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:34 am

MojaveMike: It's difficult to people who have devoted their lives to football and who still make money off the sport to accept the truth about the underlying dangers. Allowing children to play football is physical abuse and at what age they should be allowed to play the game is hard to say, but many parents are negligent and allow children to participate in all sorts of dangerous activities. Responsibility is lacking in many.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Local News