Board Update

Information pertaining specifically to tronanews.com. Board policy, user information, etc. posted here.

Re: Board Update

Postby whiskeypete » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:24 am

SPAM ACCOUNTS: I suspect that spam accounts account for a large percentage of the accounts on most message boards. Over at pirate4x4.com they claim to have 287k members. My guess is that they actually have about 800 members and that the rest are just spam accounts. It's probably about like that on most message boards since weeding out spam accounts is too much work for most board admins.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cactuspete » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 am

whiskeypete: Spam accounts certainly account for the majority of members on most message boards anywhere you go on the internet. Even Facebook has tons of spam accounts despite all the work they do to weed out such accounts. The same goes for Twitter or any of the other social networking sites out there. As for sites like pirate4x4, they don't mind spam accounts since it makes it look like they have a lot of members and that makes it easier to attract advertisers.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:16 am

cactuspete: The rumor I've heard is that pirate4x4 has approximately 100 active users. There are another couple hundred occasional users and the rest are either spam accounts or people who signed up and never bothered posting more than once or twice. Don't get me wrong. I like pirate4x4 and check it out fairly often, but numbers on the internet don't mean a whole lot.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby whiskeypete » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:16 am

drdesert: I've heard about the same thing about pirate4x4 too except the active user estimate I've heard is higher. They run a lot of ads there and need the reputation that a large apparent list of users brings. Traffic through the site is pretty good and so the strategy seems to work.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby pcslim » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:48 am

SPAM ACCOUNTS: All major online forums have issues with spam accounts. Most just allow them although they do eliminate obvious spam accounts. Whether we're talking Twitter, YouTube, Facebook or smaller forums like this one, spam accounts are just part of the deal. This particular message board is the only one I know of which doesn't put up with spam accounts. Of course, as a result it's a tiny bit harder for real people to set up legitimate accounts.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 am

pcslim: It may be a tiny bit harder, but not really all that difficult for anyone who can read. Just look in the NEW USERS thread and you got all the info you need!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cloud » Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 am

shadylady wrote:pcslim: It may be a tiny bit harder, but not really all that difficult for anyone who can read. Just look in the NEW USERS thread and you got all the info you need!

It wasn't difficult at all. I spent time perusing the forum for a few weeks and noticed the special email address at some point and just followed directions from there. I admit that I put in a request two weeks earlier which apparently was deleted, but now I understand why and it all makes sense!
cloud
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cactuspete » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:06 pm

The host of this forum has informed me that he has "finally gotten around" to updating the message board. All users are encouraged to sign up here:
http://www.blackturtle.us/FORUM
The new board is not operational yet, but accounts can be created. Also consider reposting stuff from this current message board on the new one.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:52 am

It's been almost ten years since this current message board was installed. There was another one before this one which I think was installed in 2008. A fresh start is a good idea and there's nothing stopping people from copying old posts from the old board to the new one. That way the best of the best winds up being renewed and the old stuff that wasn't so good can be left behind.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:42 am

So far there's 13 members and 23 posts on the new updated message board. I'm hoping to see more of you over there ASAP!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Board Information