What is this Presidential Alert Really About?

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

What is this Presidential Alert Really About?

Postby surfsteve » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 pm

When I got the presidential alert on my cell phone I didn't think much of it at first, but now it's got me thinking. Why is it called a presidential alert?

Is this something in case the fake news media decides to suspend Trumps Twitter account and axe him from the Internet or just stop covering him in the news? Perhaps he is anticipating some kind of censorship from the media after how bad he's made them all look over this supreme court nomination.

Is this a real possibility or am I just being a bit too conspiratorial?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: What is this Presidential Alert Really About?

Postby ergot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:01 pm

FEMA sends out first 'Presidential Alert'
I got the alert, but just dismissed it without thinking much about it.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 am

Times Square reacts to new presidential alert system :laugh:
How else is Vladimir Putin supposed to get a message to all Americans with a cellphone at a moments notice?
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:53 am

Didn't get the nationwide presidential alert? This may be why
I saw the alert on my screen, but never heard anything. It was probably a couple hours after the alert was issued that I happened to look at the screen. So, it wasn't exactly an ALERT...
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 am

Stephen Knows How To Block The Presidential Alert
Colbert, definitely pandering to butthurt Dems, shows us a low tech method of blocking presidential alerts.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:57 am

When I started the thread I really had no idea what it was about and rather than google I decided to post first and ask questions later. After some googling I'm not seeing anything confirming my thoughts but I still got the feeling that it still has the potential to become an off shoot of the presidents own personal Twitter account. Hopefully it will never be used for that purpose but I could see him calling it a national emergency if all the networks, internet, TV and otherwise, all got together and decided to pull an Alex Jones on him. (Though Alex still seems to be doing fine on the internet.) I get the feeling that he had that in mind when the system was set up and that part of the reason it is in place is to say "Here's what I can do if you guys ever decide to really screw me". I think part of the reason we are not seeing a big stink accusing him of that is because to do so would sort of be an admission of guilt.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:43 am

Do a little more Googling. Trump did not have anything to do with it. It is a plan similar to that alert we get on tv and radio. Then in around 2008 it was decided to extend the idea to or smartphones. Which does seem like a good idea. It can be used to alert of tidal waves, tornados and maybe someday earthquakes. Similar uses now are Amber Alerts.If Rocket Man feels threatened and launches first strike it would be handy.Mr Obama signed the directive to get it started. The biggest screw up was Others, not the President calling it a Presidential deal. That allowed the uninformed to link it to a possible Twitter attack from Trump. Then again the truth is no way as exciting as a good rumor.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:27 pm

So who is actually responsible for calling it a presidential alert, Obama or Trump? You're right about me needing to spend more time on the subject. Normally I research things to death before I write about them but I haven't had a whole lot of free time lately. No. I don't think it's going to turn into Trumps personal twitter account but I do think it has the potential to be modified by him to include "emergency" political statements in addition to national emergencies. I do not think that things will go that far but I bet Trump stays awake at night thinking about it and that he's probably not the only one...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/presi ... ol-phones/

It's not connected to his phone. Homeland Security and FEMA lead the list. This issue, this system, this process is a nothing burger. That is if you need a conspiracy and if that is the case put something on YouTube. Maybe send something to a California Senator :bigger:
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Return to News and Issues