The Science of Aging

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Science of Aging

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:49 am

I admit; I don't like the idea that we are controlled by something which we have no power over. I would rather focus on the things I do have control over like diet and exercise and will probably continue to belittle the importance of genes as much as I can (though I'm not just going to ignore it); so just get used to it. That's just the kind of guy I am!

All this is making me think of insects like bees and ants. I don't recall what they do exactly to make a queen but it's interesting that every ant and every bee at one time had the potential to become one. Or at least every female. How come human beings have less genes than other plants and animals that are supposed to be lower life forms?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 am

Your putting to much thought into it. Eat all the ants and bees you can find.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Quack Alert

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 am

sandman wrote:Eric Berg sounds like a total quack to me. More of a snake oil salesman than a medical professinal.

Funny. Dr. Greger seems that way to me. He's always going around spouting vegan diet without ever hardly telling you exactly how to do it. I guess when your diet fails you you're supposed to turn to modern medicine, get a million dollars worth of tests and do whatever they say till your time is up. I gotta wonder if he isn't indirectly paid by them to promote his ideals. I'm pretty sure he has some kind of ulterior agenda I'm just not sure what it is. Unlike Dr. Gregor I believe Dr. Berg is sincere. I don't agree with everything he says but I do think he is on the right track. I admit his supplements are way over priced. You can buy what is probably the exact same thing without his label on it for half of what he charges or less if you shop around. I also admit you could probably do without virtually all of them and still be perfectly healthy. Snake oil is probably very good for you as long as you eat the whole snake!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am

surfsteve: Genetic profiles provide people with extra insight to help them avoid conditions which might otherwise develop as they get older. Each person is different and what works for one person might not be helpful for another person. Knowing that you have an elevated chance of developing a certain condition and that for you the best way to avoid the problem is to emphasize certain things in your diet helps quite a bit. Another person with an elevated chance of developing the same condition might not benefit from the same course of action for any number of reasons. Sure the science is still developing, but it's the biggest leap forward that we've seen in quite some time. As they say there's no silver bullet, but the more info the better is the way I see things. Often genetic profiles just confirm things that you already suspected, but sometimes they provide a wake up call which helps people realize that they'd better do something before it's too late.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 am

Summary of what I got from this video: People with high cholesterol live longer. Taking drugs to prevent one disease usually is offset by the side effects and statistics are often manupulated.

Doctors use ratios to multiply the effects between drugs they test and placebo. Example if a drug that lowers cholesterol has only 1% deaths from heart attacks during the study on the drug and 2% die from heart attacks on the placebo then they can claim 50% less people died while on the drug. The problem is that these studies only look at one specific event such as heart attacks. What is ignored is the people that died from dozens of side effects of the drugs often many times more from each individual side effect than the one factor they helped. If these factors were considered you would discover that these drugs are killing many people; but these results are not published by the promoters of the drugs. Yes. A drug that causes you to die from diabetes and liver failure will prevent you from dying of a heart attack. But who would take it if they knew the truth? Getting hit by a car also prevents people from dying of heart attacks so if you want to lower your risk of heart attack you could just as well go out and play in traffic. But if you want to live longer: Eat healthy, stay away from doctors that prescribe drugs and stay out of traffic!

Dr. David Diamond - 'An Assessment of Cardiovascular Risks of a Low Carbohydrate, High Fat Diet'
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:56 am

Is It Possible to Reverse Aging and Live Forever?
What is and what isn't possible is not currently known. I'm hoping to die young as old as possible!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Technology and Gadgets