Local Cabins

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Local Cabins

Postby sandman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 am

Ghost Towns & Mines: Osborne Cabin 2017
One of the least spectacular cabins in the area, but a nice area nonetheless.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby whiskeypete » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 am

sandman: That cabin is nice in a number of respects. It could use some fixing up, but like you say it's in a nice spot!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby happy_hiker » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am

The most impressive local cabins are probably the one up in Panamint City, Briggs, Kopper King, and Minnietta. They're all worth visiting, but I wouldn't spend the night in any of them. Way, way, way too much pesticide has been used in all of them to make them safe to spend much time in. If the hantavirus doesn't get you, then the pesticide fumes will!
happy_hiker
Greenhorn

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat May 11, 2019 8:03 am

A trip through Panamint and Saline Valley
Interesting assortment of cabins included in this video. See which ones you recognize.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:01 pm

happy_hiker wrote:The most impressive local cabins are probably the one up in Panamint City, Briggs, Kopper King, and Minnietta. They're all worth visiting, but I wouldn't spend the night in any of them. Way, way, way too much pesticide has been used in all of them to make them safe to spend much time in. If the hantavirus doesn't get you, then the pesticide fumes will!

Toxic fumes for sure. I've been in a couple that you could tell have been fumigated way too many times. So, you wind up with either a rat's nest or a toxic enclosure. I'll poke my head in for a couple minutes to have a quick look around, but beyond that, I'm not spending much time in any of them!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby drdesert » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 am

tronagirl: Probably it's best to just appreciate them from the outside. I agree that a quick peek inside probably is safe, but I wouldn't spend too much time in any of the cabins and especially I wouldn't stir up any dust while inside!
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 am

Considering how many cabins have been burnt down over the years I think spending the night in any of them should be discouraged. It's one thing to take a quick peek, but most people who spend the night will probably do something involving fire. Fire and old cabins do not mix!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby KissMyTail » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:38 am

I heard a rumor that the BLM is going around and shooing people out of local cabins that are located on BLM land. Not sure if that's a paranoid rumor or if it's true, but with all the other stuff going on it would not surprise me if they sent a SWAT team to arrest anyone inhabiting a cabin on their land at this time.
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby whiskeypete » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:53 am

Fire in Cerro Gordo Ghost Town destroys several buildings
Three historic structures burnt to the ground.
The historic American Hotel, built in 1871, the Crapo House and the Ice House at Cerro Gordo burned down in what is thought to have been an electrical fire in an early morning fire on Monday, June 15, 2020. No injuries were reported, and the rest of the town is intact.

https://www.sierrawave.net/fire-in-cerro-gordo-ghost-town/
BTW, Cerro Gordo means "Fat Hill."
Friends of Cerro Gordo have started a GoFundMe page, Help Rebuild The American Hotel at Cerro Gordo, to raise $500,000 to rebuild the historical hotel using original plans they have of the hotel built in 1871.

https://www.sierrawave.net/what-happens-now-with-cerro-gordo-ghost-town-since-the-fire/
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby shotgunmary » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 am

Panamint City Challenge - Death Valley National Park - Challenge Completed!!!
It's probably a little late to participate in the challenge, but you never know!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Previous

Return to Local History