Dell Venue 8" Pro Tablet turned into a full desktop

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Dell Venue 8" Pro Tablet turned into a full desktop

Postby surfsteve » Fri May 09, 2014 11:54 pm

Finally a true real pocket computer without Android crippleware. I'm putting this on my Christmas list!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Dell Venue 8" Pro Tablet turned into a full desktop

Postby surfsteve » Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 am

This is a rough hack but if you wanted to use this as a full computer 24/7 you wont be able to charge the tablet while you are using it without it.

I think it would be cool to use this as a full time media computer with external hard drives. The whole gizmo would fit in your pocket to watch movies on the go or take over to a friends house to patch into their big screen TV (and mine) . Would also be great for presentations. No more lugging around a bulky notebook. Amazing when you think about it. What would have been a whole trunk load of gear only a few years ago can now be carried around in your pocket.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat May 10, 2014 12:42 am

In addition to showing how to run it as a desktop this is also a pretty good general review.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun May 11, 2014 8:17 am

Pretty cool little tablet. The fact that you can hook up to a monitor and external keyboard and mouse makes it just about as good as a desktop. Probably doesn't have the same processing power for if you're doing graphics intensive project, but it will probably suffice for web surfing and the types of things most people do. Nice selection of videos. Good information!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Actually it has more processing power than the desktop I have now. The processor is a quad core it's 4 x 1500 ghz. Extremely fast! I found two of the 64gb latest model refurbished ones on ebay for $206 plus $20 shipping. That's extremely cheap for the baddest little tablet on the market. I thought all day about how I couldn't afford to buy one and I finally convinced myself I couldn't afford not to. I came back here to do some more research and mull over some of the links I posted in order to make my final decision. Don't be surprised if there's only one left by the time you get around to looking at them. Actually I'm more inclined to bidsnipe for a new one at the same price than a refurbished one. Wish me luck!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Looks like I had beginners luck. I had six auctions in the que of my bidsniping software and won the very first one! I don't know if I will have time to fart around and make this in to an optional 24/7 desktop that I can put in my pocket when I go somewhere, any time soon but I definitely intend to get some good use out of it. I got a feeling it's going to be a great all around home and away media player and mobile tablet almost pocket sized computer. (I do wish it were a tiny bit smaller... No that's not a banana. It's my computer!)
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 11, 2014 6:49 pm

I think instead of a docking station I'm going to wind up ordering some cheap 5 dollar hubs. I'll probably try the hubs from my notebook, just to make sure they work before ordering more. I also intend on ordering one of those vga adapters asap. Going to have to review the hack I posted and see about making it into a 24/7 capable machine. Didn't look that difficult.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Here we go.
Office 3-in-1 Kit for Dell Venue 8 Inch Pro Windows 8.1 Tablet, Micro USB B 5Pin Male to USB A Female with Angle Adapter Host Mode OTG Cable + 3 Port USB Hub + 2.4G Wireless Mouse Black
by EEEKit
Price: $11.99 & FREE SHIPPING
http://www.amazon.com/EEEKit-Office-Win ... ro+usb+hub

USB 3.0 to VGA External Graphic Card Display Cable Adapter for Windows 8 WIN 7
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251504214587
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 am

surfsteve wrote:This is a rough hack but if you wanted to use this as a full computer 24/7 you wont be able to charge the tablet while you are using it without it.

I think it would be cool to use this as a full time media computer with external hard drives. The whole gizmo would fit in your pocket to watch movies on the go or take over to a friends house to patch into their big screen TV (and mine) . Would also be great for presentations. No more lugging around a bulky notebook. Amazing when you think about it. What would have been a whole trunk load of gear only a few years ago can now be carried around in your pocket.

These aren't out just yet but it's virtually the same thing as the hack, only instead of shorting the data pins an internal resistor is probably built into the device to accomplish the same thing.

You can pre order one here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
I'll either wait till they come out or make one myself if I get too impatient.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Mon May 12, 2014 5:12 pm

I've been playing around with a Dell Venue 11 for the last couple of weeks at work. Dell loaned us three different small devices to test out. I like the tablet for browsing the internet, but other than that I'm not thrilled with it. It does have a nice camera and it's easy to edit clips together into a video in Windows MovieMaker. It's just like a Windows 8 desktop only with a small screen and no actual keyboard other than the one that shows up on the screen. I don't plan on hooking it up to a keyboard, monitor or mouse, but it's interesting that all that is possible. I could see the tablet being useful in certain situations, but I'm not rushing out to purchase one for personal use. (BTW, SurfSteve, I enjoyed the videos you posted since they show some interesting ways that the Venue can be utilized.)
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Technology and Gadgets