Death By Soda?

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 am

CactusHugger wrote:From salami to soda pop: what does “toxic” really mean?
The section on aspartame (called "Sweeter Than Sin") breaks down the chemistry of aspartame. The only toxic substance released by aspartame is methanol and you'll get more methanol from drinking fruit juice than you will from a soda sweetened with aspartame.
Unless you are consuming a very large amount of aspartame, the quantities of methanol involved aren’t large enough for concentrations in your bloodstream to reach dangerous levels, and your body will break it down. If you have about 555 milligrams per liter of aspartame in a flavored beverage, that equates to about 55 milligrams of methanol per liter of soda, give or take. You can actually get more methanol by drinking fruit juice. Likewise, the methanol from 500 mg of aspartame is about equivalent to the methanol from 8 ounces of vegetable juice, and there’s even more methanol in gin.

LINK: http://puffthemutantdragon.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/from-salami-to-soda-pop-what-does-toxic-really-mean/

Thanks. I was trying to review your article. Are you aware that it was written by someone that goes by the name of Puff The Mutant Dragon?

Here are some highlights from an article by Dr. Mecrola refuting claims made by Puff and others.
Link: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ancer.aspx
Many have indeed been injured by aspartame — there are more adverse reports to the FDA on aspartame than all other food additives combined. It's also widely known how massive industry and government collusion at the FDA was ultimately responsible for its approval after it failed to be approved for many years.

Aspartame is primarily made up of aspartic acid and phenylalanine. The phenylalanine has been synthetically modified to carry a methyl group, which provides the majority of the sweetness. That phenylalanine methyl bond, called a methyl ester, is very weak, which allows the methyl group on the phenylalanine to easily break off and form methanol. This is in sharp contrast to naturally-occurring methanol found in certain fruits and vegetables, where it is firmly bonded to pectin, allowing the methanol to be safely passed through your digestive tract.

Saccharin and Aspartame Cause Greater Weight Gain than Sugar

In related news, a study published on October 19 in the journal Appetite7, found that compared with sucrose (regular table sugar), saccharin and aspartame caused greater weight gain in adult rats, and this weight gain was unrelated to caloric intake. The underlying mechanism was not determined. (lots more on this in the article)
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 am

Woman Drinks Nothing But Soda for 16 Years
She's 31 and for half her life she drank 2 liters of soda a day and nothing else. She had all sorts of medical issues. Doctors had her start drinking water. Within a week she was all better!
:smack:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 am

FDA Proposes New Rule for Arsenic in Apple Juice
I'd like to think that drinking fruit juice is safer than drinking soda, but apparently that's not always a safe assumption!
:eek2:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Diet Soda Losing Popularity
Looks like people are drinking less soda and more energy drinks and water. I'm pretty sure that iced tea is doing pretty well too!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Water in a bottle ....get a filter
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Soda and Possible Cancer Risk
It's a certain chemical that is sometimes used to produce the caramel color that is the culprit and California has really strict rules regarding the use of this chemical. Although it caused cancer in lab mice a person would have to drink 1000 cans of soda a day to get the same dosage level. CONCLUSION: It's probably safe to keep drinking caramel colored soda!
:smokin:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Death By Soda

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 am

I'm of the opinion that if you are living and eating so healthy that soda is a concern, that you probably qualify as some kind of health freak. I say don't sweat the little things. Take care of the big things like don't drink to excess, don't smoke, and keep your weight under control and you'll do alright. Worrying over the little things is probably more stress than it's worth!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 am

I'm a big believer in probiotics but I don't think you can go around and drink as much sugar as you want just because you are taking some pill or eating a little yogurt. I've read the part about aspartame before and how it caused tumors in rats and that the studies submitted were skewed because only short term experiments were used and that the animals used in long term experiments developed really bad tumors.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:36 pm

Daily Soda Intake Can Age You Two Years
This LipTV news clip leaves out the SUGARY part of the study. Here's an excerpt from a Time news article:
Epel and her team analyzed data from 5,309 adults in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) from about 14 years ago. They found that people who drank more sugary soda tended to have shorter telomeres. Drinking an 8-ounce daily serving of soda corresponded to 1.9 years of additional aging, and drinking a daily 20-ounce serving was linked to 4.6 more years of aging. The latter, the authors point out, is exactly the same association found between telomere length and smoking.

LINK: http://time.com/3513875/soda-may-age-you-as-much-as-smoking/
In other words, diet soda won't have this effect and so diet soda does not reduce your lifespan... at least there's no scientific evidence that it takes years off your life although I'm sure there are tons of yahoos out there who insist it does!
:laugh:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 am

I've heard a lot of debate about plastic containers and it's the case that they are used for more than soda and when heat is involved concerns increase. I know a lot of plastic containers say that they are microwave safe, but some people still claim that chemicals may leak into food when it's nuked in the microwave. According to the FDA the amount of toxic chemicals released by plastic containers is so low that there's no health risk, but some people still claim that there's a risk of cancer and other health problems. Personally I like to be a little extra cautious and so I go with glass in the microwave and avoid plastic whenever possible.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment