Walmart In The News!

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Walmart In The News!

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:09 am

Police shut down Walmart workers’ protest
I suppose if you live in an area where housing is expensive that $15 is barely enough to live on, but most people live in areas where they can get by on less. I do feel some sympathy for these workers, but they should be training for better jobs rather than protesting.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:15 am

Barely Getting By On A Walmart Paycheck :shrug:
People need to get paid enough to get by on, but in some areas the cost of housing is just too high for anyone working that kind of job to keep up with the bills. I think it depends on where you live when it comes to the question of whether or not Walmart pays enough.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:18 am

They Make $1.5 Million An Hour At Walmart – Meet America's Richest Family
When you look at it this way it's hard not to hate the stingy, rich bastards! :wtf:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:53 am

Toddler fatally shoots mom at Walmart
This tragic accident will scar the children involved for the rest of their lives. The lady had a concealed weapons permit, but how do you keep a handgun handy so you can grab it quickly while keeping it out of the reach of the kids? They say that accidents like this are more likely to happen than for people to confront situations where they need a gun and so owning a gun might not be such a great idea afterall.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:47 am

Deadly Accident At Walmart
The lady killed in this accident was actually a highly educated individual, a nuclear scientist according to this news clip. She had just gotten a purse with a secret gun compartment for Christmas.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Super Walmart

Postby twister » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:37 am

I heard that they're just about ready to actually start building the Super Walmart in Ridgecrest. Anyone have an exact date for the groundbreaking and anyone know when they expect to have the store operational?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Super Walmart

Postby CoolChick » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:42 am

twister: What I heard is that construction is set to begin over the summer and that it could open sometime during the first half of 2016. I can't guarantee that my info is accurate as I got it through word of mouth, but it's probably in the ballpark of reasonably reasonable.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:46 am

How Powerful Is Walmart?
If WalMart were a country it would have the 27th largest GDP in the world!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 am

Sam Warden got his start supervising the Japanese internment camps in WWII and now runs commissary for the largest open air prison camp in the world from beyond the grave.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 am

The Sam Walton wikipedia page tells a different story. Another page confirms that Fort Douglas, Utah was a POW camp.
Walton joined the military in the U.S. Army Intelligence Corps, supervising security at aircraft plants and prisoner of war camps. In this position he served at Fort Douglas in Salt Lake City, Utah. He eventually reached the rank of Captain.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Walton
It's always possible that the entry has been sanitized, but I'd have to see evidence before I'll believe the bit about the Japanese internment camp.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News