Mormon Pioneers

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

The Mexican Mormon War (Drug Cartels vs. Mormons)

Postby surfsteve » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 am

Mexican Drug Cartels vs. Mitt Romney's Mormon Family (Part 1/7)

The cartels of Juarez, Mexico, are at war with a group of Mormons, some of whom are related to Mitt Romney.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: The Mexican Mormon War (Drug Cartels vs. Mormons)

Postby wildbill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 am

Interesting post. But one thing I notice is that the VICE channel kind of embellishes their stories a bit and so I'm not sure how reliable the info they present is. I think it's called info-tainment... there is some truth to what they say, but then they sort of add a little fictitious scandal and intrigue to make the presentation a bit more interesting. Fun stuff, but probably not exactly accurate or something that would pass a basic reality check.
:smack:
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cactuspete » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

wildbill wrote:Interesting post. But one thing I notice is that the VICE channel kind of embellishes their stories a bit and so I'm not sure how reliable the info they present is. I think it's called info-tainment... there is some truth to what they say, but then they sort of add a little fictitious scandal and intrigue to make the presentation a bit more interesting. Fun stuff, but probably not exactly accurate or something that would pass a basic reality check.

I guess Vice figures that entertainment value makes up for lack of reliability. I think that's a trend that was started by Geraldo Rivera back in the 1970s. Journalistic integrity is a thing of the past. It's all about ratings and the size of the audience now!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:31 am

So those were not even the real Romneys and all the guns in the movie were made of plastic?

Romney Exposed: Romney's secrecy in business is detailed, and revealed; as well as his role as a drug money launderer for GHW Bush

Link to article
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

cactuspete wrote:
wildbill wrote:Interesting post. But one thing I notice is that the VICE channel kind of embellishes their stories a bit and so I'm not sure how reliable the info they present is. I think it's called info-tainment... there is some truth to what they say, but then they sort of add a little fictitious scandal and intrigue to make the presentation a bit more interesting. Fun stuff, but probably not exactly accurate or something that would pass a basic reality check.

I guess Vice figures that entertainment value makes up for lack of reliability. I think that's a trend that was started by Geraldo Rivera back in the 1970s. Journalistic integrity is a thing of the past. It's all about ratings and the size of the audience now!

In the battle for eyeballs some compromises are necessary. It's too bad that it's the truth that is sacrificed, but when it comes to money, the truth is only a minor inconvenience.
:curse:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 am

Ute Wakarum, Brigham Young, Latter-Day Saints, Mormons, the sex trade
More fun with Mormons! :whack:
Interesting history of Mormons, Indians, horsetheifs, Catholics in the Death Valley area.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:48 am

Sounds like the Mormon religion was more about profit than prophecy.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 am

Banned Mormon Cartoon - EXTENDED VERSION
Interesting look at the Mormon Church. Lots of peculiar beliefs, but nothing too bizarre or outrageous compared to mainline Christianity. Religious nuts are religious nuts regardless of the particular brand of religiosity they adhere to.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Mormon Pioneers

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:49 am

Why Mormons identify with Syrian refugees
Although this video doesn't provide any info about local Mormon pioneers, it does provide a little background about why Mormons came out west to begin with. Many people might not realize that Mormons were among the early miners in the area. I'll share what I know after others share what they know.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Mormon Pioneers

Postby twister » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:47 am

crusty: I am aware of a Mormon Peak in the Panamint Range. I think it's near the top of Pleasant Canyon. What I don't know is how the peak got its name, but based on what you've hinted at my guess is that it had something to do with Mormon pioneers. I can't wait to hear more!
:shrug:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Local History