High Speed Internet

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: High Speed Internet

Postby shadylady » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 am

An article I read a couple days ago stated that Verizon is actively abandoning wire and cable lines and is going wireless as much as possible. The reason for this is that they can charge much higher prices for wireless service and then there are the ridiculous overages they charge should you happen to exceed your monthly allotment. It's way past time for the government to step in and put some limits on what they are allowed to charge. Customers have been ripped off for way too long!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun May 08, 2016 7:19 am

Why Does Restarting The Router Fix Wi-Fi Connection Problems?
Fun facts especially pertaining to DSL. :pac:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Fri May 13, 2016 4:09 pm

ISPs Are Now Forcing Cord Cutters To Subscribe To TV If They Want To Avoid Usage Caps
ISPs like to claim that usage caps are necessary, but...
...that's bullshit. U.S. residents already pay some of the highest prices for broadband in the developed world; money that any earnings report will clearly illustrate is more than enough to offset what at this point is only modest network upgrades. As one cable CEO recently noted, most of the heavy investment is over, and the name of the game now is milking these uncompetitive markets for all they're worth until either broadband competition magically sprouts from the ether, or regulators wake up from a deep slumber and shut down the price gouging party.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160512/05492234421/isps-are-now-forcing-cord-cutters-to-subscribe-to-tv-if-they-want-to-avoid-usage-caps.shtml
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed May 25, 2016 8:25 am

After nearly a year of no internet we finally have high speed internet in Trona again through Frontier. They were supposed to have it available April 1st when I ordered it but it took them nearly a month to get mine working. I tried to sign up with SBC but I determined their services were a joke after they wanted me to sign up for a 2 year contract and pay a 750 dollar cancellation fee which I almost agreed to till they told me that they would cut my services after 3 copyright notice complaints and that I would still owe them the cancellation fee if that happened. I still have complaints with Frontier. When I signed up they told me that I would be getting 6 mbs. for 39.95 but when the service finally got connected all I got was 1 mbs. and they denied saying that they offered 6mbs before but offered me 15mbs for more money. The guy that was hooking it up said that 15 mbs was impossible and that I was more likely to get 10. On the day it was hooked up I was getting 12 mbs but it has never been that fast since and is pretty much exactly the same deal as when I had Verizon. At least I'm back online.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Wed May 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Welcome Back Steve
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Thu May 26, 2016 7:42 am

surfsteve: If they cut your internet off, you don't have to pay them. It's as simple as that. I don't care what the freaking contract says. That's just a bluff. It would never stand up in court. If the service ends, then the payments end. What they count on is that the customer will be easily intimidated and won't lawyer up. Of course, many people can't afford to pay for a lawyer and so this kind of bluff works way more often than it should. Copyright notices don't have to be challenged. They have to be proven and even at that, the ISP is not required to cut service. That's optional and therefore the contract language is not enforceable.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks James.

Cactuspete: If the contract says I have to pay them then the court would say the same thing. Small claims contracts are not enforceable though or I'd be a rich man.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:43 am

Gigabit Internet Is Still Almost Uselessly Fast — For Now
All the speed you could possibly need. That is until you eventually need more.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Technology and Gadgets