Planned Power Outages

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Trona's power failure 6/21 to 6/22/2016

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am

Apparently last night's power failure affected the entire Trona area except for the plant. About 1/2 hour after it occurred I was driving someone who's breathing machine failed to Ridgecrest and noticed an entire group of workers on the scene near the rail road tracks. This seemed way to fast for an unexpected interruption. Which begs the question. Was this a planned power interruption? Was anybody notified that there was going to be one? Does anybody know any details? I asked one of the workers and they said they didn't expect it to be back on till morning. When I called the power company they knew nothing but they assured me that I would receive an automated call from them as soon as they knew something but I didn't get a call till this morning asking me if the power was back on. What's your story about the black out? Did anyone deliver any babies in a crowded elevator?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Trona's power failure 6/21 to 6/22/2016

Postby twister » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:08 am

I heard it was a car accident, but that's what they always say whenever the power goes out. Were the workers near the railroad track near enough to the road for someone to hit a power pole? It seems like people run into power poles an awful lot around here. This is like the fifth time in the last ten years I've heard that a power outage was caused by a car crash! It seems pretty unlikely if you ask me!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:04 am

Yes. It could have been someone hitting a power pole. They were pulling wires from a power pole when I drove by. The pole looked brand new too. I noticed the power went out for a few seconds in the morning. Is it possible that an accident happened then and that they were working on it all day? I'm not sure how else to explain all the crews on the scene so quickly after it went out in the evening but that would be a plausible explanation.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:56 am

I heard that it was part of a rolling blackout and SCE intentionally cut power to parts of the high desert to help with the power grid problem in the LA area caused by the big fires they had over there. I'm sure that's a bunch of horseshit, but that's what I heard. I don't know what other communities in the high desert were or were not hit by the blackout.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 am

What is a Rotating Outage?
I found this info at the SCE website. The list of cities include a bunch of high desert towns, but Trona and Ridgecrest weren't on the list.
A rotating outage is a controlled electric outage that is called as a last resort when there is a regional power emergency. For an hour at a time, we shut down power by geographical groups, known as rotating outage groups or rotating outage group blocks, to help ease the demand on the electrical grid. These rotating outages help your community avoid larger and longer lasting power outages.

LINK: https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home/outage-center/outage-information/rotating-outages/
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:33 am

It wasn't a rolling black out. But I admit when I heard them talking about rolling black outs on the recording, when I called to report the outage I was thinking maybe that's what it was; but once I saw all the repair crews down by the railroad tracks replacing the new pole I knew that, that was not the problem.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:59 am

So who the hell was so drunk that they crashed into the telephone pole? I don't want to seem unsympathetic, but it's not like the damn telephone pole is sitting in the middle of the freaking road and you have to drive around it or something!!!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Re: POWER OUTAGE

Postby ergot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:12 am

It's usually a distracted driver that runes into power poles. It might be the cell phone, a unruly kid, or someone who is drunk or high. Shit happens and sometimes one irresponsible act winds up impacting the lives of hundreds of responsible people. I think forest fires are a perfect example of this kind of thing too. Bad parenting might be the ultimate example, but it's also the most difficult to detect.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Planned Power Outages

Postby blackturtle.us » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 am

Planned Power Outages
There was one in August and another a few days ago. What I've heard is that there are at least four more planned and that two are likely in November. I was able to escape the one in August by going on a hike, but this last one I was stuck in town since I had to work the next day. I tried the ice chest cooler and can't say that it was all that effective, but it did help some and as usual, I wrote an annoying song about it...

ALSO SEE:
SONG INFO PAGE: http://www.blackturtle.us/SONGS/NEWPAGES/icechest.html
COOL AIR THREAD: http://tronanews.us/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=319
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Planned Power Outages

Postby twister » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 am

blackturtle.us: Nice one! I did not appreciate either of the planned power outages we've had so far. I don't see why they couldn't schedule them for after the hot weather is over!
:shrug:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Local News