Mormon Pioneers

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Mormon Pioneers

Postby mrfish » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 am

Manly Peak, Needle Peak
Here's a hike report that might be of interest:
On the return, we took an alternate ridge which brought us down a different canyon. Old mine tailings and debris, pre-1900 were present at the bottom of the canyon. We came upon the remains of an arrastre. Andy Z told us that the Mormons were among the first to mine the Panamints and used the burro-driven arrastre (a device developed in Mexico) to grind down rocks containing gold ores. The grinding marks were still visible in the stones paving the center and sides of the arrastre.

LINK: http://desertpeaks.org/archives/dps02963.htm
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:50 am

http://mountainmeadowsmassacre.com/

Todays Mormons make the world a better place. They do more for the fellow man than many others but they do have a dark place in history.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:16 am

Manly Peak, Needle Peak
There are stories about Mormon mines on the slopes and in the canyons of Manly Peak in particular. I don't know a lot about that history, but here's a little something I ran across.
On the return, we took an alternate ridge which brought us down a different canyon. Old mine tailings and debris, pre-1900 were present at the bottom of the canyon. We came upon the remains of an arrastre. Andy Z told us that the Mormons were among the first to mine the Panamints and used the burro-driven arrastre (a device developed in Mexico) to grind down rocks containing gold ores. The grinding marks were still visible in the stones paving the center and sides of the arrastre.

LINK: http://desertpeaks.org/archives/dps02963.htm
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 am

Church: Don't use 'LDS,' 'Mormon' terms
As long as I can remember the preference has been for the use of the full name, but that's quite a mouthful.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:47 am

So what are they going to call the MORMON TABERNACLE CHOIR now? I think they even have published recordings. Are they going to request that everyone return old records and CDs so that they can instigate the name change? I guess they're trying to rebrand because Mormon sounds a little too much like moron! lmfao
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:47 am

There is also a Mormon Gulch in same kind'a sort'a area.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildbill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:37 am

And what about Mormon Tea? Will the church expect people to change the alternate name for ephedra too? Incidentally, I did a quick search for the word Mormon and found out that the states of NV, ID, UT, AZ, and NM are sometimes referred to as the Jello-Belt because Mormons (members of the LDS church) consume Jello at twice the national average. I had no idea!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrfish » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 am

The Book of Mormon is one of their holy scriptures. Are they going to change the name of that too? Rebranding a religion probably won't work although most probably need it.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby ergot » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:29 pm

The Senate Makes Utah Great Again, Harems Get Legalized
Why is polygamy a crime in the first place? The government doesn't need to regulate sexual behavior.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:37 am

Polygamy might seem great in someone's sexual fantasy, but the reality would not be all that great. More fights, more expenses, more problems. And then there's alimony payments following the possible divorces. While I agree that there should be no laws against plural marriages, no sane person would rush into such a relationship just because there are no laws against it.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local History